2012 Ford Boss 302 Crate Engine

I have read that this will fit in both the RCR and the SPF.

Is it possible to add an 8 stack EFI? Is there a manufacturer that makes one that will fit?

Is there enough clearance if an 8 stack was fitted?

Would the 8 stack EFi add any power or tq?

and...

How different would this engine sound at 7,500 rpm with a custom 180 bundles of snakes exhaust compared to the old pushrod SBF?

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It should be possible to add the 8 stack system, but I am not aware of anyone with a kit as of yet. The biggest issue is the electronics package, I don't know if the Ford ECU can handle the aftermarket injection but don't really see why not. As to adding power or torque I wouldn't expect the system to add much without other modifications. There are more and more aftermarket parts for the new 5.0 every day (look through a copy of "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords") so bumping the power level up is doable.

Tyhe Boss 302 satrts at 444 HP so a ten percent increase means some serious power is on tap.

The sound should be quite nice, the 180 degree bundle of snakes makes a Windsor sound "Italian" so a Coyote should really have a sweet "ripping" note. The exhaust system should add power as compared to the Mustang cast exhausts, so there may be 10-20 ponys right there!

We currently have an 8 stack system under development on the dyno.
The Ford Ecu will not work as it relies on a MAF sensor which is not possible without a plenium. We are running on Motec.
The engine is capable of making larger than 10% gains with the 8 stack fitted.
We will be selling systems but they will not be cheap.

We currently have an 8 stack system under development on the dyno.
The Ford Ecu will not work as it relies on a MAF sensor which is not possible without a plenium. We are running on Motec.
The engine is capable of making larger than 10% gains with the 8 stack fitted.
We will be selling systems but they will not be cheap.

Hello Roger,

Sounds fantastic.

Are you alluding to having found 12-15%?

Do you have a link to share?

Yes 15% is achievable. When we finish the development we will offer 2 versions of the engine. Stage 1 will be a very torquey engine with at least a 15% gain. Stage 2 will be for the serious racers.

The Coyote will never look like an old pushrod engine due to it not being one. So don't worry about about trying to keep period correct with webber lookalikes, just bang on a blower and be done with it. You will end up with over 600 ponies, easy.

First Public appearance of 8 Stack.

Attachments

• InnoV8 Display.jpg
    InnoV8 Display.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 988
How long until someone bores and strokes a coyote? I'm interested in seeing what that will bring out of the beast. I'm no engine expert, so I can't make anything near an educated guess, but I know there's plenty of you out there that can.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
How long until someone bores and strokes a coyote? I'm interested in seeing what that will bring out of the beast. I'm no engine expert, so I can't make anything near an educated guess, but I know there's plenty of you out there that can.

Been done. There is a kit available for I think, 5.3L. Even with no other mods that is around 10 percent increase in go power.

Hi William, Seems their is a big approval on you choosing a 2012 5.0 Ford crate engine. I have to agree. However there is concern about the electronics required to control the fuel injection and ignition. William, let not your heart not be troubled. I've used a "stand alone" engine management system by SDS EFI.com. The cost is aroud 1500 USD for the controller. You'll have to pay extra for injctors, throttle plates, manifolds, etc. This is an incredibly clever control system that doesn't even need a laptop. Instead, all programming is done via a keypad. In the old days we had to change jets and turn screws to adjust air/fuel ratios (actually we couldn't even measure them). To adjust timimg curves, you had to over and over pull your distributor apart to change out weights and springs. BUT TODAY, through the magic of electronics, all adjusting is done with a keypad. You do have to have a brain for tuning an engine though. You even can conect an air/fuel meter directly to the system to get exacting performance. Terrific system. ranger jim

Back