What color are your headers?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I feel silly asking this question, but I'm kinda done with the glitz under the hood thing, and am considering a plain color, such as gray, for my headers and mufflers. I've seen photos of member's examples, but curious as to pinions on other colors besides the typical polished-silver finish that is commonly used by the ceramic coaters (e.g. white, gray, black, etc)?

Mine are currently a dark gray color. But if I had do them again....I'd go white. I think white makes them look more period correct for some reason.

check to see all the colors avalible through VHT. I had a Wikelman formula Libra with the exposed engine out back. Did the body in Gaurdman blue & white with some yellow stripes added, engine in Ford blue, exhaust in VHT bright blue. It looked stunning. Didn't get dirty looking as fast as the white did........ForeverFord!!!!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I feel silly asking this question, but I'm kinda done with the glitz under the hood thing, and am considering a plain color, such as gray, for my headers and mufflers. I've seen photos of member's examples, but curious as to pinions on other colors besides the typical polished-silver finish that is commonly used by the ceramic coaters (e.g. white, gray, black, etc)?

Don't feel silly; I struggled with this for quite a while. And I agree; polished silver looks to0 bling fro me.

I have a Mk II and thus wanted to duplicate the look of stainless that's been heated to the straw-gold stage. The best I could get was a color called Titanium which is a brownish grey. Given the alternative of having SS headers made for several $thousand, I'm quite happy.

Looks about like this:

images.jpg

Terry, my headers have been white since I got my car in 2000. I love the vintage look but I'm running out of toothpaste trying to keep them white. It seems like you get a spot or two on them every time you drive it. I've tried most every high-heat paint including VHT but they all flaked a little after a while (never tried white ceramic). I found a local place that does industrial chrome and nickel plating. He does a standard set of headers for $150 including bead-blasting to bare metal. I plan to have my system nickel plated after the blasting. They will have a satin finish and should look vintage after some heat golding.

Don't feel silly; I struggled with this for quite a while. And I agree; polished silver looks to0 bling fro me.

I have a Mk II and thus wanted to duplicate the look of stainless that's been heated to the straw-gold stage. The best I could get was a color called Titanium which is a brownish grey. Given the alternative of having SS headers made for several $thousand, I'm quite happy.

Looks about like this:

View attachment 57014

Alan,

Can you elaborate? I've also gotten tired of the "polished look" ceramic coat and am wanting to go a different route.

BTW, I'm really digging your improvement ideas.

Rich.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Can you elaborate? .

Sure, I set the RHS pipes in place and shot a couple pictures.

The coater told me which of the coating mfrs. makes this color but I forgot; I might forget to call them so you might call Olympic Coatings, (760) 745-3322 and ask them. Or of course you could send them to Olympic themselves to be coated; they did a first class job for around $380 IIRC.

Please try to disregard the scuffs; they are all my fault but polish out with green or white scotchbrite.

Under fluorescent shop light:

header coat no flash.jpg

with flash:

header coat flash.jpg

And of course what I really want is what Tim shows above. Tim, rather than call that "maintenance free" I think it would be "pre-paid maintenance." Or better yet "Maintenance free; headers expensive" :lipsrsealed:

Last edited:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Allen, LOL, the Burns SS custom made headers weren't so bad it was the price of the Louboutin shoes and the Louis Vuitton hand bag for the Miss' that set me back

Allen, LOL, the Burns SS custom made headers weren't so bad it was the price of the Louboutin shoes and the Louis Vuitton hand bag for the Miss' that set me back

It's funny how that works. I had to buy a Lexus so I could buy a GT40......

Alan,

Thank you sir. I appreciate the info and the pics.

Tim,
Did you polish your tubes or was that done by the builders. I have left mine natural and just use Goof Off and Scotch Brite to remove any oilly figerprints after any tune up or work session, prior to fireup.

During the build.
P0002925Medium.jpg

Here they are after a heat cycle ir two.

P1010141.jpg

Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My stainless ones turned gold after they had been heat-cycled a few times. I don't know whether they will stay that way, but they look nice for the time being.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
my stainless has turned gold but I plan on having them ceramic coated in silver because of the heat under the rear deck.
I have ceramic coated headers on my Cobra and love the way they pass the heat out of the engine thru the exhaust. They cool a lot faster than my buddies painted or chromed sidepipes.

I think they give me the best of everything, looks, easy to clean, less heat.

Dwight

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Maintenance free :thumbsup:

Tim, I love the chrome appearance with the gold patina and the s l o w color gradient between the two. I assume they are chrome, since it would be difficult to believe they are polished S.S. If they are chrome, then that begs the question if they are copper plated steel first, then chrome plated. Some have suggested that S.S. can be chromed but must be plated with an interim plating process that has escaped my simple mind at the moment. Whatever it is, it's the kind. Please share more. I'm :sad: on the left coast too, so send me a P.M., if you'd rather.

Is engine compartment heat really that daunting, or is it mostly only when drivers nap during lengthy traffic signals.

This shop specializes in among other things, GT40 headers, and in speaking with him, he suggests that his tubing is slightly larger and thus allows engines to exhale more effectively:
Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed

There is some interesting information on snake bundle headers here: Burns Stainless LLC - Bundles of Snakes and 180 Degree Headers

Robert

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Robert, they are polished s.s. Since you're in Yorba Linda, my fabricator is in Riverside and would be happy to make you a set. He's an "artist" at this stuff. Let me know if you need his contact.
Tim

Back