Exhaust gaskets

Hi,
I have on my 302 engine dart PR01 CNC heads and need to get the correct exhaust gaskets for it
They state it could be Felpro 1487 or possibly dart 65228100.
Well it's not the 1487.
The problem being the port size is oval horizontally and the 1487's are oval vertical.

The blanks for the exhaust I had made are now wrong as they were made from the wrong gaskets.
Has anyone experienced this and know what the correct part no. is
Need these in the uk but may have to ship via USA.
Cheers

Keith,stop fussing, you don't need gaskets. If we were buiding a race car we would not use gaskets as a matter of choice, just use silicon sealer.
You don't have to retighten and there's nothing to blow out, far more reliable.
Mick can take a cardboard pattern off the heads for the header flanges, that way they are GUARANTEED to fit.

Mike

I know when it was Dyno'd it had sealer but long term Mike ?
If you say so, so be it.
But surely Dart would not make heads and not have gaskets to suit ?
I'll stop fussing now ! maybe.
Cheers

Last edited:
I know when it was Dyno'd it had sealer but long term Mike ?
If you say so, so be it.
But surely Dart would not make heads and not have gaskets to suit ?
I'll stop fussing now ! maybe.
Cheers

Keith,
take the questions in order,

Long term.........more reliable.
I DO say so.
Wouldn't they ?.........don't you believe it.
Please do.

Mike

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm with Mike on this one...

Since I switched (about 5-6 years ago) to using Permatex Ultra Copper or High Temp RED RTV, I have yet to have a problem on racecars or street cars.. A nice bead around each port about 1/8" thick - let it skin up for about 45 minutes, then bolt on the header.. I then let it cure overnight.. You're done and won't be revisiting blown header gaskets again..

OK Then.
That's settled then
I'll glue the F#####S on

Pick the car up Tommorrow then Mick

Joking

Plain clear silicone sealer wiil do the job fine. There's no need to buy motorsport/aerospace/NASA endorsed hi-temp stuff.

...but, since high-temp copper RTV (such as Permatex copper) costs about the same as ordinary silicone (a few dollars a tube), why not just get the right stuff?

Although I use gaskets as a matter of course, I do have a car with a broken exhaust stud on one cylinder that would require removing the engine to repair. Rather than doing so, since it uses individual gaskets for each cylinder, I just used Permatex copper in lieu of a gasket on the offending cylinder. It worked perfectly and has lasted for more than 10 years!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Plain clear silicone sealer wiil do the job fine. There's no need to buy motorsport/aerospace/NASA endorsed hi-temp stuff.

Not so sure about the plain clear silicone as I've not tried it - but as I understand it the High Temp stuff is O2 sensor safe.. and as Mike points out - it's only a few dollars...

Back