Le Mans cam question (67FE-6250-A)

This is Ford's cam card for the Le Mans cam, published in the early '70s. It indicates a checking clearance of 0.100" and two columns for the timing, one titled "0 degree cam" and one "Tappet Lift".
Can someone explain how Ford defined these terms and how the timing was measured then, and how an identical cam would be specified now?

Attachments

• le mans cam.jpg
    le mans cam.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,682
John,
the zero column is the theoretical timing or "advertised" timing as it is now known, this is the actual timing at the point of lift and does not take into account the valve lash unless it is a hydraulic cam.
It is also virtually impossible to measure accurately as the lifter is moving so slowly in relation to crank degrees, hence the figures for .100 " lifter rise which is very easy to measure.
The norm nowadays is .050 lifter rise which is just as easy to check. In practical terms the first .050" of lifter movement has virtually no effect on performance but the movement there does effect how easy or otherwise the cam is on the rest of the valve train.
In all honesty why would you want a 1970 cam profile anyway, there have been huge advances in cam profile technology, why not take advantage. Similarly valve spring materials have improved, you needed a slow lifting cam like that one fourty years ago or you start busting springs. Look at the seat pressure specified, 85lbs, thats OEM street stuff now.
Mike

Mike-
Thanks for the information. I don't intend to use that cam, but I was reading through some old tech manuals and realized I couldn't translate those old valve timings into today's specs. The events would be different when measured at 0.010 versus 0.050 lift, and I was trying to compare the duration and overlap of Ford's '60s cam to what's being used today. Just curious.
My own engine is a solid lifter cam HiPo 289 with about the same timing as the original. It's been sitting too long and I'm tearing it down for the umpteenth time to make sure one of the neighbor's kids hasn't dropped something down one of the carb throats. It seemed like a good time to re-think old decisions. I know that Englesse/Comp has a modern cam designed to complement the 4 48IDA intake but it's hydraulic, and I like the smell of hot tappets and oil in the morning <label for="rb_iconid_12">
icon12.gif
</label>

Back