Engine Mounts

I've heard although have no idea how true it is, that the poly bushes are not recommended for engine mounts as they wear significantly faster than rubber bushes. As someone on another forum commented, why do you think the manufacturers still use rubber when its more expensive?

Jon, I tried the prothane mounts and, unfortunately, they're really too tall for my engine and carb configuration. They're a full inch "taller" than my current rubber mounts (Galaxy 500) and there's just no way they'd go in there. I tried to "shorten" them by cutting and remounting the ears closer in, but then the metal housing containing the rubbing bushing fouls on the side of the engine block. It's a bit of a lash up really.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the standard rubber mounts. If I then have a problem, I will look to upgrade later.

Years ago, in my mustangs, I used to just drill a couple of holes through the metal/rubber/metal sandwich, insert a 3/8 SHCS or high grade hex-head bolt and hold it in with a ny-lock type locking nut. Don't squeeze the rubber, just snug it up and it still provided cushion, but never came apart.

Joe

Back