Webers and a PCV, ideas?

Well, it seems that to pass the visual inspection here in California (the most hated state in the unrion according to a recent poll, and I agree), I need to have a closed system PCV setup in place.

Not surprisingly, there is no provison for such with my Webers.

I called a California-based Weber distributor for suggestions....theirs was to put them on after the inspection:furious:.

Needless to say, I'm not keen on buying a second intake and carb just to please the inspector.

Has anyone taken a Weber-equiped motor through the inspection lately? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

You can build an air cleaner and just have the PCV feed into it. A tray under the stacks and a lid will work. For the rectangular element, we used a large round K&N and cut wedges into it where the corners of the unit will be to allow it to be re-shaped into a rectangle. Some heat helped allow the rubber to be "coaxed" into the new shape.

Rick,

I was thinking about that, and saw that Jack H. (on this forum) had built a plexiglass housing to put around the entire set of Webers. I may try contacting him to see if any are still available.

I know that typically, the pcv runs to a fitting just below the carb, are area of high vacuume, with a breather from the other valve cover often running from the carb filter housing as a source of clean air into the block. I wonder if I can get away with putting a filtered breather (not running to the carb) on one side, and the pcv running from the other valve cover to the carb filter housing.

I'm not sure that such a setup would meet California's requirement for a "closed system."

Will,

This IS the SB100...as of this year, the law was altered to require a PCV system on all cars.

A big PTA IMHO.

Back