A little bit of Thread

Hi

Not sure if this is right area, but its to do with the engine in my Dax GT40. I attach a photo of what the little bit of thread did when it came loose on my Holley Carb and dropped into the engine.

We were cruising on the A28 in late autumn (fall), not far from my home near Le Mans. We came to exit the motorway and I started to change down through the box. Suddenly a big bang. I depressed the clutch and slammed the brakes on, coming to a stop about 200 metres from the exit. There is a complete story about how we got the car back home, but that's maybe for another day. Anyway, once home, we proceeded to start investigating the problem. It gradually got worse as we delved further.

1. Noticed that the thread was missing off the top of the Holley. OK maybe its just gone into the combustion chamber, lets take the head off and have a look. Yes. I can see it, but can't get it out.

2. Take off the Head. This is where things started to get worse : Big Time. The piston is cracked and its look like one of the valves is slightly bent. OK. Lets drain the oil and see what we get.

3. Drained the oil. Plenty of water. Oh Dear !!

The engine had to come out and see how bad everything was. It had bent 2 conrods and cracked the block !! The block is now in my garden in France and will make a great feature with plants growing out of it. Shame after going round the track at the Le Mans Classic 2010.

I took as many parts as were serviceable back to England and my mate built a new engine for me. I don't know any places in France where we could get the bits and machining we needed, though I am sure there are plenty. We installed it in the car last July. There have been many improvements and refinements made, so all in all we are in a better situation now than I had been with the original engine.

Its amazing how much damage that little bit of thread did !!

Stephen

Attachments

• S6002083.jpg
    S6002083.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 278
Back