Food for thought

After reading another thread of a posters problems with a certain builder of his engine & the failure of that engine in a short (rellatively) time. I for one would never have a racing engine company build a street car engine. Yes you'd think they'd know what they're doing. But think about it. What do they have experience in? Building engines for longevity? or to get the most horse power for a short periode of running time? Most race engines are torn down & completely rebuilt or at least gone through after every race. Often between practice & the actual race or two engines. One for test/practice & another that is the real race engine. Is it really surprizing that a "race" engine doesn't last very long in a street car? Componants used in a race engine/car are usually lightened to the point of near failure from the get go. Many componants in a race car are really not in any way strong enough to stand up to street use & longevity. To build a street car exactly as a race car is would in my opinion be courting rapid failure. Susp. componants are not made to withstand pot holes or curb bumps etc. Race cars belong on the track & street cars belong on the street. To try to build one car to perfom both functions is a nice deam but impractical. A failure in the making or at best mediocre on both fronts. Many fiberglass companies offer a "compitition weight" body & a street weight one. That right there tells you something. Most vintage race cars today are kind of like buying Geronimo's tomahwk "the head's been changed 3 times & the handle twice" but it's Geronimo's tomahwk LOL. Every part on such a car has been replaced/rebuilt upteen times since it rolled out of the factory. How mant that you see for sale. Say they've just come from an "X" year restoration? You might find a bolt or two or an aluminum panel still on the car that was there when the car rolled out of the factory. In short if you build a race car & use it on the street. Don't be surprised when you have to keep replacing/rebuilding it. Just like the race car it's patterned after. So my advice is don't let a race compny anywhere near your street car. Find a mechanic that has a good rep with the "street rod" crowd rather than the "race crowd". A company that has a good rep. for engines that last, rather than put out max. horse power or lightest weight.
Mike S

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I would assume your are referring to Roush. The Roush crate engine division is totally separated from the race engine operation both as a business entity and physically.

Roush is leveraging the "name" from racing to sell a higher price point product. I make no accusations nor endorsment of the Roush crate engines, let you own research and name brand valuation guide your choice of builder.

Yes, race motor are not built for street use and many parts are of "limited lifespan", the lifespan of which is likely much less that expected on street driven engine. The "dyno racer" metality will cost a lot when idled around town!

Back