Ford 363 crate motor

I'm kind of leaning to use this motor as the platform for a RCR 40, anyone using this new crate motor?
Cheers Ray

Ray, you're talking about a crate motor direct from Ford Racing? Or somewhere else?

Do you already have the motor in your possession? Or, when you say "kind of learning to use...." you mean you're just playing around with the idea virtually?

Looking at get the Ford motorsport crate motor, I've heard the 347 was pushing its limit with the skirt clearance and saw that Ford offers the 363 and was wondering if anyone had an experience good or bad with them. I could just buy one and stick it in my cobra until I pull the trigger on the gt40.
Cheers Ray

Sorry about that Ron, I noticed that I was pretty vague when I reread my thread.
What I want to do is get my engine and transaxle first so I know I'm committed to this build like 12yrs ago when debated building the cobra.
That Roush motor (353) with the eight stack injection looks like it would meet my needs(wants) perfectly, I wonder what the price is.
Cheers Ray

Ron Earp

Admin
Personally I'd go with Keith Craft. They sponsor the forum, have decent prices, and have more bang for the buck than Roush. You also might want to check the feedback thread with Roush.

In any event, I don't think I'd use a 363" motor. 331" in a SB is more than enough and avoids some potential problems with the rod ratio/pistons on the 347+ engines.

Ron,
It is my understanding that using the 4.125 bore block and the "331" stroker will give a 347 with that short stroke we desire! I am anxious to hear how these work 4.125 blocks work, I have two projects planned to use this new big bore technology.

cheers,

David

Personally I'd go with Keith Craft. They sponsor the forum, have decent prices, and have more bang for the buck than Roush. You also might want to check the feedback thread with Roush.

In any event, I don't think I'd use a 363" motor. 331" in a SB is more than enough and avoids some potential problems with the rod ratio/pistons on the 347+ engines.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,
It is my understanding that using the 4.125 bore block and the "331" stroker will give a 347 with that short stroke we desire! I am anxious to hear how these work 4.125 blocks work, I have two projects planned to use this new big bore technology.

cheers,

David

Hi David, that isn't correct as far as I can tell. The bore and stroke on this motor is 4.125" x 3.40". V = pi * r^2 * h = 45.5" * 8 = 363 cu in.

The 342/347 SB strokers have a 3.40" stroke, the same as this engine. In fact, the description indicates that this motor is simply a Z347 replacement, sharing the same stroke as the 347 but getting the additional cubic inches over a 347 from the bore increase.

Please re-read - I know I can be confusing.

the 3.25 stroke (326/331" motors) with the 4.125 bore gives 347.

Lots of choices now!

Hi David, that isn't correct as far as I can tell. The bore and stroke on this motor is 4.125" x 3.40". V = pi * r^2 * h = 45.5" * 8 = 363 cu in.

The 342/347 SB strokers have a 3.40" stroke, the same as this engine. In fact, the description indicates that this motor is simply a Z347 replacement, sharing the same stroke as the 347 but getting the additional cubic inches over a 347 from the bore increase.

Ron Earp

Admin
Please re-read - I know I can be confusing.

the 3.25 stroke (326/331" motors) with the 4.125 bore gives 347.

Lots of choices now!

I assume you're referring to the Ford crate motor that we're discussing, correct? According to the link it is:

Engine type: 302 based small block ford
Displacement (cu in): 363
Bore x stroke (in): 4.125" bore x 3.400" stroke

Now if you're talking about doing a different motor, yes, I agree with you. But the title of the thread and the engine the poster asked about have the poorer rod ratio/piston ring issue that the original 342/347s had.

Back