Rattle in valve cover

After getting the fuel pump replaced ( It was full of aluminun debris) I put in a filter betwen the tank and pump in addition to the high pressure one after the pump. With that issue solved, it was time to fire the beast up. Sounded like a loose lug nut in a hubcap. Pulled the valve cover off and this is what I found. Next will be pulling the head and see had much damage there may be. The joys of sorting out a new aquisition.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 447

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Aaah! Mr Edelbrock again --- the pushrod keeper has failed --the end keeper has parted company allowing the rocker to tap on the spring keeper till the collets dislodged --- bugger !

The question here is what came first. It is unlikely the guide plate would bend or break on its own. bent pushrod form a seized valve or excessive valve clearance etc. What ever came first it needs to be torn down.
Like flatchat said " bugger"

I did find the missing piece of the pushrod keeper and the 2 pieces of the valve keepers. At least nothing went traveling through the engine. The valve does not seal so it is off with head.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 284
Rocker miss alignment with the valve stem and push rod, caused by the guide plate? Just to confirm, is the push rod straight up until the top of the wear mark with the guide plate?

Chevy engines use adjustable guide plates to ensure alignment, but ford engines don't tend too.

Tony
Your pushrod looks like a stock Ford pushrod. To run on guideplates you must run aftermarket hardened pushrods. Might be the problem:sad:
Woody

The head is off and this is what I found. The valve did hit the piston but at least it is one piece. The valve is bent and will not seal. I will have to get a spring compressor to get the spring off and the valve out to inspect the seat. The wall fo the cylinder does not appear scored. Still do not know why the pushrod bent and turned the rocker arm off of the valve stem????? The last two pictures are the other cylinders.

Attachments

• DSCN0847.JPG
    DSCN0847.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCN0850.JPG
    DSCN0850.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN0851.JPG
    DSCN0851.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN0848.JPG
    DSCN0848.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0849.JPG
    DSCN0849.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 255

Pat

Supporter
Is it possible it was installed with the wrong pushrod? As noted, something had to cause this.

Interesting that the rest of the valves have guide plates, but that one doesn't.

Is this true? NO pushrod guide? That would be the cause, imo.

Further, I would think one would want to know where EVERY bit of debris went - otherwise its time to pull the pan and check the oil pickup. Then maybe check bearings for signs of debris.

Currently my occupation is a similar "tear it all the way down" adventure.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A lot of engines run ball/stud rockers without guide plates but they typically have guides integral to the head. Never both (or you risk eating up pushrods).. Either way, something's not right there..

I got lucky like you many years ago when an intake valve stem broke at the keeper.. At over 7,000 rpm the power fell off abruptly, but I drove it all the way back to the pits.. That valve just rode on top of the piston without any other malady.. New pushrod, valve, keepers and retainer and I was back on the track later the same day..

Is this true? NO pushrod guide? That would be the cause, imo.

Further, I would think one would want to know where EVERY bit of debris went - otherwise its time to pull the pan and check the oil pickup. Then maybe check bearings for signs of debris.

Currently my occupation is a similar "tear it all the way down" adventure.

No it has them, it was me being blind. Although it managed to snap off one of the arms.

Tony, I just loged on after not being able to have time for thhe internet the last few days. I was thinking about your failure and was just about to suggest the same observation as Woody. It appears that at least that one pushrod was not a hardened one. With guideplates it is essential to use hardened push rods. It appears that the pushrod had been wearing for quite a while before the failure and also that it bent at the area of the worn notch which then had much less bending strength. I have never seen a failed pushrod guideplat be the root cause of failur if the alignment was correct in the first place. I would check whether all the other pushrods are stock (or not hardened) also to see if there is any wear on them. A thorough check for metal shavings off the pushrod and debris is warranted through the whole engine to make sure there has not been othe damage and steel particles into the bearings at all.

Good luck with it!

Gord

Back