water in the oil warning

I have a problem that I am hoping some one can give good advice about. First I have to admit I am going to look rather foolish in this, but if it helps someone else with this problem, then will be worth it.

I have replaced my ring gear(again) on the 930 trans. Long story for another time. I had gotten to the point I was willing to give up on my quest for a distributorless ignition and was preparing to go to an MSD electronic system with a distributor such as the Digital 6AL or AL 2. I had talked to one shop about assistance. they are well versed in MSD equipment. I decided to get the car ready for the work and it involved removing the cam sensor arrangement on my car. This sensor is where the old distributor sat. With the TWM injectors in place, the distributor shaft will not clear the distributor hole to be removed. The only way is to remove the intake manifold first.
The water level in the system was lowered to the level of the tubes running to the front of the car. Then the manifold was taken off. The exhast manifold covers the rear most part of the manifold requiring the manifold to be turned up on its side about 30-45º and slipped out sideways while the distributor is lifted up as well.
Its either this way or the engine has to be pulled to get at it. When this was done, I could hear water emptying out of the intake manifold, and of course into the engine. The total was probably 100cc or less.
It was about this time, I was studying the MSD site videos to familiarize myself with their products, and discovered the problem I was having with the distributorless setup was a timing issue all along, and I believe I am on the right track now. The MSD approach was scrapped and the manifold and sensor reinstalled.That story will be followed up on later.
So now I have an oil pan with oil and water in it. All the oil was suctioned out as best as could be done then the oil drain plug was removed and the remainder of the oil and water removed. Very straight forward so far. Here is where the craziness starts. I have a Kevko oil pan.
P9300315.jpg

P1010121.jpg

P1010123.jpg

You notice the drain plug is on the side of the pan and not the bottom. So a good quarter of an inch of oil remains in the pan when empty. I then lowered the back of the car and tilted it toward its right side to aid in drainage, which it did. This angle was not very steep so I thought I would help it out by boiling the water out with my map torch. The amount of water there probably would not cause any harm and would be forced out as steam once the engine got to operating temperature as I have seen steam coming out of the vent line on other fireups. I just worry the engine won't fire up and then I would have water circulated throughout the system. So at this point I have the drain plug out. I am distributing heat all over the base of the pan til I find the spot where I hear the water boiling, which is at the back of the engine. Steam is coming out the drain opening along with more oil and water.
The top of the engine has a vent hole in each of the valve covers. One has a 10AN line to a catch tank, the other has a push in plug in it.
After about two minutes of heat to the boiling water oil mixture, there is a rather large explosion!! It blows the torch out and after getting out from under the car I find the oil plug from the valve cover, all the way across the shop where it landed. I was not hurt, but you can bet it scared the pee out of me. I consider myself lucky to be alive at this point.
The car has been cranked a dozen times or so, and probably has several hours of run time that have used up at least two tanks of fuel. We have been trying to tune this engine for almost two years off and on with little success. Lots of spark knocking, back firing, spitting and sputtering on start up. Once cranked it runs pretty good.The one time I drove the car around the block it didn't have a lot of power on any hills. The oil has not been changed from its original break in 5W-30. Fresh oil will be used when it is refilled.
I have several questions.
1. What caused the explosion? Was it gas mixed in with the oil from washed down cylinders from all the attempts at starting??
2. What damage do you think I may have incurred from this. Anything at all? Nothing?
I am at the point that I am ready to crank the motor(again with a new timing map). My plan is to spin the motor without plugs to check out the oil pressure and reset the ignition parameters, reinstall the plugs and fire it up.
Do you think I need to pull the oil pan and inspect the innerds. I hesitate to do this because the bolts above the kickout are not able to be reached. The narrowness of the frame and the front trans supports are in the way. Would need to pull the engine to get to them. I would rather not, if possible.
I have seen first hand the damage one cup of gasoline will do when ignited, but I can't think of what would have been damaged with this incident. So I need more experienced people's advice.
Thanks,

Bill

Yes , it would have been due to fuel in the oil from all the problems & cold start running your motor has been thru, yes it scares the crap out of you!

Without being witness to it the explosion, its a bit of a guess as to any further damage, look for any gaskets such as timing cover or oil pan etc that might have been displaced or perhaps the timng cover oil seal that might have been deformed by the explosion, I doubt there will be any actual mechanical damage. best of luck!

My experience was a startup on a 429 that unknown to me had a sump full of gasoline & a piston with a hole in it, when we attempted to start it both rocker covers were blown off, plus the sump/oil pan gaskets all left hanging out the side, dipstick went up & hit the w/shop ceiling etc, ears didnt stop ringing for a couple of days....

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
X2 to what Jac said...
Funny Jac, I had almost the same thing happen with a 327 in a customer car in the dead of winter (sub zero for dys).. They had been using ether to try and start an already flooded engine. Don't know what caused the spark, but when she blew, I was only a few feet away and it caught my stocking cap on fire too.. Ears still ring and that was a good 40 years ago.

Hey Bill,

Oh yes, had that happen last year, it scared the crap out of me.

besides my GD-T70 to work on, my girlfriend has a 50yo citroen HY campervan, after putting in a replacement engine last summer it wouldn't start at all, after many many attemps to get it running using the hands choke etc etc, I finaly figuerd out that the engine in it is the same as the one in a citroen DS, but in the DS it's mounted the other way round, so what I thought was cylinder 1 was actually 4 etc etc despite the valve cover having cast in number 1 to 4 that are in the wrong position, (damn the french for this). after swapping the ingintion leads it picked up 3 or 4 revs an then an enourmous BANG, cast alloy oil pan, and the complete exhaust system blew to pieces. releasing a big black cloud of dust and smoke. luckily the engine stopped imediatly so no harm was done running without oil.
you can't believe the mess it makes when 4,5L of motoroil are being distributed evenly acros the front of the house and drive-way by means of a small bomb.

all neighbours came out, wondering what that wannabee Doctor Emmet Brown, had gotten himself into now, my face was pitchblack, Her's was white. and I couldn't here anything but ffffuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuiuit.

I gotten the pan of the old engine, cleaned everything, put it on and the engine fired up without problems, I dont believe any harm was done to it in the long run.

Engines are made to handle explosions in the first place, I would check cast composite and alloy pieces for cracks and the larger gasket areas as allready sugested also maybe the odd sensor will not have survived. But I can't believe any permanent damage has been made inside the engineblock by means of a loud bang. the fact that you could hear the bang means that the explosion presure was able to escape which is in this case a good thing. not for your ears though.

also a friend of mine has found the hard way that welding a used alloy fuel tank isn't neccesarily a smart thing to do. even though is stood filled with watter for 2 days. welding helmet litteraly save his live.

Oh I do like these stories,
anyone else that lives to tell the story have something stupid to confess?

grtz Thomas

Last edited:
Back