valve adjustment procedure??

Anyone have the valve adjustment procedure instructions for a Ford 302/347 with Edelbrock RPM heads. The motor is in the car. I had to replace a valve (rattle in valve cover) and now it is reasssembly time. I have found a video from "the engine factory" but that is on a stand .

Hi Tony
Weather the engine is in the car or on a stand the procedure is the same, it's just a pain in the arse in the car. Turn the engine over so its firing on #1. This is easyer with the sparkplugs out. To find #1 line the TDC mark on the front pulley. The distributor rotor should be facing #1 lead.
You can use this method, get the firing order 15426378
and split it in half and put the top half on the bottom half
When its firing on #1 its rockers are rocking on # 6
When its firing on #5 its rocking on # 3 etc
You can use this on all firing orders regardless of the amount of cylinders
Once you have established you are firing on # 1 Back all the adjuster nuts off then starting with # 1 Wind the adjuster nut down with one hand while spinning the pushrod with the other hand, you will feel the pushrod grab once you have 0 clearance. then wind the adjuster nut another half a turn down.
( Some may say a quarter of a turn and some may say three quarters of a turn, This doesn't really matter in a stock or close to stock engine. You just want the lifter compressed into its working area)
Do both intake and exhaust then turn the engine over till its firing on #5 and rocking on #3. On the crankshaft this will be exactly a quarter of a turn
Once you have set #2 rocking on #8 then set #6 rocking on # 1. and so on.
Ther is always more than one way to skin a cat!
But I hope this is explaned ok for you and is of some help.
Woody

Back