Carburator base insualtion gasket?

Hi all

looking for a insulation gasket for my 4bbl 750 Holley on a Super Victor Intake.

Have some issues with fuel boiling after the car sits for a while after driving. Started already to isolate fuel lines, but also want to minimize heat transfer from the engine via intake.

What brand, type of gasket works best in your experience for that purpose?

Thanks

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The other thing you may want to do is to kill your fuel pumps a minute or so before shut-down of the ignition. This will pull the fuel level down in the primary bowl at idle or above. You'll need to take a few jabs at the throttle to pull fuel out of the secondary float bowl though..

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
I use the 1/2" or 1" phenolic (bakelite) spacer -- its a great insulator and there's plenty to choose from -- the extra height improves torque a little too, so I'm told. You may need to use a "turkey" nest shield around the carb. as well to isolate it from the exhaust heat.
The engine compartment seems to be a low pressure zone thus drawing the hot exhaust air over the top of the motor

Randy, Chris,

Thanks

Yes plan is to build a turkey pan and some insulation gasket. The issue is that i can not gain anymore height ( Aircleaner clearance is now about 0,25 inch to the rear clip plexiglas). So for everything i add, i will have to mill down the intake for the same dimension. I think it is no problem to mill down up to 0,5" 12 mm This insulator gasket has 0,32 (8 mm) inch (Edelbrock 9265 - Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
plus turkey pan out of 2mm, leaves another 2mm which will fit the dimension of the other carb base gasket.

in terms of layers i think first insulation gasket, than turkey pan and than the standard base gasket, This way the turkey pan is isolated from direct heat transfer and only has to shield radiant heat. Also plan to put some of this reflective gold foil on the outside of turkey pan.

What you think?

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Tom

Do you have auxiliary fans in the engine compartment to vent off excess heat for a few minutes after shut down? That may also help. Especially with a fire breathing power house like you are running.

Chuck

I know this shows it on webers, but we use a fan box on top of the carbs fitted immediately after coming off track to draw excess heat away from the carbs, only needs to run a few minutes to prevent fuel vapourisation, works well.

Attachments

• IMGP0955.jpg
    IMGP0955.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 413
Chuck:

no i don´t, i have thought about it, but i rather try a simple mechanical shielding approach first, would like to keep the engine compartment as clean and lean as possible.

Frank

good idea for track use, but unfortunately not very practical in daily situations. Any specific reason why you are not using a turkey pan to shield the carbs a bit ?

Thanks
TOM

Back