Holley Vent Baffle & Lambda Gauges

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before but if so I have failed to find it via "Search" :sad:

Has anyone out there fitted and/or experienced the Holley Vent Baffles? They are normally used to prevent fuel escaping from the float bowls under braking or acceleration, something I wish to prevent :(

Also i am interested to hear of anyone using a Lambda sensor/gauge to monitor the air/fuel on a Holley Carbed motor. AEM & Inovate produce possible candidates although a more subtle gauge/digital readout may be more appealing.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :thumbsup:

Dear Paul

I´m using a Innovative LM2 regularely to monitor AF ratio. Helped me a lot to get my carb tuned. You can see exactly where it is to lean or to rich.
This spring i will go one step further and use the log functions of the LM2.
Will monitor and log RPM, AF Ratio, Throttles Position (TPS) and the manifold vacuum. to optimise even further. Highly recommand LM2 and the Logworks software

This said i have a LM2 with only one sensor. Wished i would have bought the one with the option to connect two sensors. After optimising my Holley and dyno the car i will switch to IDA´s and here it would be helpfull to compare both sides ( even if they are mixxed in the 180° crossover)
TOM

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Paul,
I have bought the AEM one from ebay but not fitted it yet (too cold in ggggggarage!) Martin Gough has his fitted and working and it works well. The one we have has a ring of LEDs and also a digital readout in the centre. I take your point about the appearance but if you mount it low down under the dash but still easily seen it looks OK.
The vent baffles you mention - are these the 'whistle" type of vents which are made of a whitish plastic?

Cheers
Mike

Not wanting to drift here but are you guys saying the Facet pumps are only good to a certain HP rating. What would that HP rating be before one should consider a different set up? I'm using "red top" Facets and truth be told they seem to be working well. I have @ 440 HP.

Hi Paul,
I have bought the AEM one from ebay but not fitted it yet (too cold in ggggggarage!) Martin Gough has his fitted and working and it works well. The one we have has a ring of LEDs and also a digital readout in the centre. I take your point about the appearance but if you mount it low down under the dash but still easily seen it looks OK.
The vent baffles you mention - are these the 'whistle" type of vents which are made of a whitish plastic?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for AEM input, looking seriously at such a meter to ensure mixture is in the correct area!

Yes the baffles are white plastic. Just ordered 2 as I do not want to chance getting excess fuel in the bores under braking.

Cheers
Paul

Not wanting to drift here but are you guys saying the Facet pumps are only good to a certain HP rating. What would that HP rating be before one should consider a different set up? I'm using "red top" Facets and truth be told they seem to be working well. I have @ 440 HP.

Hi Jimmy,
This is not an issue of poor fuel pumps, it is to ensure too much fuel does not enter the engine under heavy braking which could well produce bore wash.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Paul,

I have installed literally scores of the vent whistles... Easy as pie. The vent pushes into a rectangular slot in the metering block of a 4150 style carburetor. There is a small fluted pin that comes with the whistle that needs to be fitted. to do that you need to drill one small hole down from the top of the metering block, through the top of the whistle. Then tap the pin through the hole and into the whistle. You're done.

You might want to look at road racing floats as well. The standard Holley floats can be upset easily by lateral forces. I have used the Powerdex AFX A/F system to tune my carb. It does not have recording ability so other systems are probably better. It does have a digital monitor that can be viewed as you drive. If you really want to be able to tune the carb get metering blocks with replaceable idle restrictions. The standard Holley blocks have fixed restrictors. Holley carbs are notoriously rich.

Hi Paul. Wide band will be the best money you will ever spend. I have used my wide band ( and det cans ) and quite a few V8's with good results. Pete

I have used the AEM AFR system to monitor AFR. It's basic but works well with an easy-to-read gauge. I don't believe it has logging (it may, I didn't read the directions too closely...).

It works for a basic Holley as an 02 bung in any of the pipes seems to work fine. There may be some AFR variance across the different pipes so a two-sensor (or four) configuration may work better, but for my purposes it works just fine. If I had webers I would probably be using a more expensive system with multiple sensors.

I like it because I can just look at the thing as I'm driving under different conditions and get a rough idea of the AFR on the fly.

It's cheeeeep too! Less than $200 bucks.

Aem 30 4100 6 in 1 Digital A F Wideband Uego O2 Controller Gauge | eBay

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
.....while searching for AFR instruments I stumbled upon this old thread which made me smile when reading imformation provided by Tom, I sure miss that guy!

I'd like to inquire if anyone here has the tool that Tom mentions: LM2 (Innovate Motor Sports)

If so, would you recommend the dual O2 capability over the single?

Innovate Motor Sports On-Line Store

Seems necessary due to the cross over exhuast and ITB's (Webers).

...or any other brands available similar in price.
tim

Hi Tim,
I installed the LM2 with 2 sensors - great piece of kit. Eventually one sensor failed but both used to read pretty much the same I have not bought a replacement (they are not cheap!).

Have not ventured into all the reporting features but they are there if you need them. With carbs you would need a throttle position detector to feed in that data and many more parameters can be logged.

Recommended

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
thanks Paul for the recommendation. so it does read each sensor individually? makes sense....a bonus to help isolate which of the four carbs my be reading differently.

Last edited:
Back