Pro comp heads.

I have just bought a pair of bare pro comp heads. has anyone here had any dealings with them? I know the general consensus is they are chinese rip off`s of other brand names but are they workable ?

Bob

Bob my son has a pair on a 351 and seem to work very well so I bought a pair for a 302 I built and they were pretty dam close when I cc'd them , that engine is now in a Mustang and going ok.

cheers John

Bob,
Bare is the safest bet with those heads as they install very cheap valve train.
My step son runs a set of those on his big block powered truck and they make good power for short money.
Regards,
Mark

My only knowledge regards their 351 Cleveland heads.

They are worse than garbage.

A friend who is one of the world's foremost authorities on building 351C engines (Google "Dan Jones 351C" and you'll be reading for hours) has done numerous tests with all the various 351C heads available from Edelbrock, CHI, Scott Cook, Ford Racing, Blue Thunder, and of course the factory 2V and 4V heads.

Not only were the Procomp heads the worst of the bunch that he has tested, they actually LOST something like 40 hp when tested back-to-back against standard Ford iron heads! Plus, they were so poorly made that even simple things like the holes for the head bolts weren't machined in the right place, so they took hundreds of dollars of work to even be able to bolt them to the block, easily eating up any price advantage they had over proper aftermarket heads.

I won't even get into my philosophical objection to a company that appears to have no R&D of its own, and instead lives by buying competing products and then (poorly) reverse-engineering them and branding them as their own.

Again, I have no knowledge of Procomp heads on any other engines besides the 351C. But I know enough to know that I wouldn't take a set of these if they were offered to me for free!

Dont worry they wont be going on the 40 :shocked: they are for another project. You are right about the version they made for the 351c but the ones for the 302/351w seem to be fine. With 2.02 inlets and 1.60 exhaust all machined and ready to build up for £250 I thought I would give them a try. They produced 35hp over a worked set of factory iron heads in a mag dyno head shoot out. As pointed out they are made with cheap valve train components which is why I got the bare version, the cam for the project came with springs so for the sake of a decent set of valves and a quick clean up of the ports I will have a semi decent good flowing set of Ali heads which will be ok on pump gas. I have been doing some measuring and because the valves centerline has been spread they will need some adjustable guide plates to keep the rockers on the valve stems. So its a clean up, port match , suck it and see.

Bob

V8 302 Engine Stuff Slideshow by mypickys | Photobucket

look at the difference in port sizes of the different heads. What did ford have in mind fitting those 4v cleveland heads to a 302?

Top procomp
standard 302
gt40p
boss 302 4v

Last edited:
Back