180 headers for an LS1

Just putting some feelers out there, dose anybody know of anyone who makes a 180deg cross over header set up for an LS1 to fit a 40. or am I going to have to get off my butt and build my own.

cheers John

I planned to build my own for my LS2 in my RF. I had the stainless steel plates laser cut for the head, and have 34 x 90 degree stainless steel seamless bends to prove I was going to do it! It was going to be a big breather of an engine, hence the 2" pipe size. Actually, I still have the 2 x 4 into 1 stainless steel collectors too, and a big ol' length of 2" tube.

There was no one making them at the time, and I'm not sure there is anyone now. Firing order is no problem to make a good set.

Attachments

• Exh 1.jpg
    Exh 1.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Exh 2.jpg
    Exh 2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 398
  • Exh 3.jpg
    Exh 3.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 962
Hi Troy yeh I figured i'd probably have to do my own, was just hopefull as i'm getting lazy in my old age, I see some reasonable flange plates locally on flea bay, so it looks like a sack full of bends and where off. I'm going to limit engine upgrades to a 300kw chip and remap, so was thinking 1 5/8 primaries into 1 3/4 to the collector then 3 "cats and mufflers.
whats your thoughts.
cheers John

I think 1-3/4" is a good size for that hp, I'm sure other guys in the LS world would offer other suggestions if they thought otherwise. I think the LS would sound pretty good with a crossover exhaust. Can't wait for the first 'start up' video !

Keith

I've often wondered why 180 degree headers were never used with Bow Tie products including T70 etc. Not even an 'H' pipe which I always used on my drag and circuit cars... Space considerations aside, is there any technical reason why similar performance gains (to SBF) could not be found in this configuration that might have precluded their use?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris Hale has a very nice Tornado with a Chev and 180 crossover headers

It certainly does not hang around

Ian

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
These were ones I made for the McLaren look-alike, but found that with the very tight rear bodywork, I instead had to put the clutch master cylinder, coolant overflow, and coolant reservoir directly behind the motor instead of the crossover tubes. That's when I built the 4-to-1, and stuck these in the attic.

standard.jpg

Keith

There was also a theory running around about 8 into 1 but that may have been with a 180 crank.... Memory fading....:worried:

Hi John

I made my four into one exhaust for my car, sure you could after watching your magic on the Steinard.
As soon as i can remember how to upload pics i will. Dunn it before just carn't remember how(seams to happen more often as i get older) not just with uploading pics.

Darrell DRB Ls1/G50

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Question for the group. Is there any reason you can think of why the typical 180º headers, if welded at the collector such that in essence you have a single header, could not be installed from behind and below the heads in order to bolt them up (assumptions are the chassis allows room to do this, or that this would be done with the engine out of the chassis)?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have often thought why not use these?
SPD :: Exhaust Collectors

Look at the flat merge collector

Basically one above the other

Two inside from each bank into one and to middle from each bank into the other

Saves that point in a bundle of snakes when you have to have the primaries stacked 3 high

Ian

Back