Info on Sperry Engines in Cedar Rapids, IA

I am a new forum member actively looking for a GT40. I have heard that Sperry Engines makes good crate engines for GT40's. I looked at their website and it seems that they specialize in Chevy engines. I went back a while looking for relevant threads here, but didn't see anything over the past couple of years. Does anyone have any info/experiences with this company?
Thank you.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I would STRONGLY recommend, based on personal experience, that you find a LOCAL engine builder to build your GT40 engine. There used to be an engine builder (Kernodle Automotive) in Norfolk, I think near the Five Points area. Kernodle himself passed away not long ago, but someone may have taken over the shop. They did good work. Don't buy an engine from a builder a thousand miles away, even if they have a good rep. If something goes wrong it will be a huge pain to get put right.

Another good builder in the past was Aerodyne, in Suffolk- they were out by one of the airports out there.

you should be able to find a local shop that can build you a nice engine from a Ford crate motor. You don't need to go all the way to Iowa. You probably don't need to go more than thirty or forty miles.

Stephen: Sourcing the engine locally is very good advice. If you find yourself in need of anything other than a tuning issue, trying to get the car or its engine to the builder becomes a prime concern and a real PITA. Think ahead.

Back