condensation in d/sump tank

While doing the body on my 40 I had to move it in and out a lot and got water in the dry sump tank.

I drained it and have had a few good runs in it and a track day but still I have been moving it in and out on a daily basis.
I am still seeing water droplets, they are clear not coolant , no head gasket issues no water loss.
The water is clear enough you could drink it no signs of green coolant at all , because of the full synthetic oil it does not emulsify.
It did not seem to do this before, has anyone experiance this.
To me it seems like condensation.

Jim

Yes, it's pretty normal in an engine which doesn't get a lot of heat into it.
The moisture in the air condenses and you get water.
I had it when I was running my car in and out of the workshop for awhile but not running it for very long.
If you let the engine get upto operating temp for a while then shut it down it is less likely to happen.
It's no big deal.

Jim,
I don't have a sump system but my overflow line when heated up would emit steam from the condensate that had built up from running the engine for short periods. It goes a way.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jim

What do you have on the top of your rocker covers -does it feed to a PCV / into an air intake?

If so is it worth doing a breather T to the top of your dry sump tank?

Ian

Jim

What do you have on the top of your rocker covers -does it feed to a PCV / into an air intake?

If so is it worth doing a breather T to the top of your dry sump tank?

Ian

Thanks Lindsey at least that sets my mind at rest.

No PVC Ian, I have 8 x TB , Each cover is plumber to an air oil separator, the breathers come in about 2/3 the way up the bottom is connected to the tank, it is vented to air at the top with a filter.

A PVC would probably help draw the condensation away, it would require a re-tune in the fuel maps.
What may work is a very small nylon tube 3mm or so(vacuum ) into the oil air separator,as it comes from the breathers it will draw it of and burn it.

Bill
yes its coming up the breathers from the covers.

Thinking about it the oil air separator is allowing the moisture back into the tank, a small redesign may help, and a small vacuum source.

A friend has suggested putting the oil air separator closer to the exhaust to get some heat into it.

Jim

Last edited:
You could also fit a couple of exh pan evacuators to the exhaust collectors and plumb them into the oil separator or catch tank..works same as PCV system without polluting the intake charge.

Good suggestion Jac.
I want to build a new rear section on my system starting just after the collectors, so that may happen.

I did do some mods today so I will see how we go, it looks good so far.
If its good I will post what I did

Jim

Back