Gearbox-Engine Spacer?

Hi guys,
now this sounds stupid to ask, seeing as one of the reasons i chose my engine and gearbox combo was that they bolt straight together, but:
Is there any reason why I couldn't get a thick aluminium spacer made to go between the gearbox and engine?
I'm thinking ~2" perhaps?
got the idea as there was a thin spacer already on there (~10mm max) but i assume this was due to the auto box supplied

My engine is relatively heavy, I know this (iron block V6 twin turbo) so the further foreward I can get that huge mass the better!

What would I need on the clutch/flywheel side though?
(I'm and engine-noob) but the ring gear position is fixed due to starter being on the engine side, and the clutch is on the gearbox side, so custom thicker flywheel?
I know it's really something i need to research more but you guys have an adapter on most engine/box combos anyway from what I've read

For reference the engine is an Audi ARE 2.7tt V6 add the gearbox is a DQS 01E

Assuming that your engine weighs 200kg, moving the engine forward 2" will only shift 4kg from the rear to the front. Your spacer might weigh that much. If you're obsessive about this, can you shift both the engine and transaxle as a unit? There's nothing magic about having the axle line perpendicular to the centerline of the car.

Back