Killer 331

Over on Club Cobra there is an engine for sale at a remakable price. I know the individual Morgan Leblanc who has/built it and it is the best of eveything, huge sacrifice moneywise. If you want a track motor that needs nothing this is it and it is fresh.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Why not post a link?

Agreed! I am at the point where I want more power in my Cobra, and rather than going to the trouble of building the present engine perhaps it would be more economical to purchase an already built engine.

I'm active on CC...much less than I am here...but I hardly ever browse the "for sale" items.

A link would be greatly appreciated!

[Edit--Rick, I notice you referred to the engine as a "track motor"...is this engine built in a manner that would make it unusable on the street?]

Thanks!

Doug

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Yep...lots of people wanting a look-see at the killer 331. My short attention span prompted me to give up and go to the next interesting post.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I've noticed that the CC website was slow to do almost anything recently...switch threads, bring up different pages on the same thread, search for new posts, all those things we all do as we cruise the forum.

Doug

I am not so sure about the claimed 500hp potential. Many nice bits to make it a stout motor and probably good value for money but very little going on in there that builds the claimed 500hp, he may be referring to magazine or pub HP. Perhaps even a little overkill for a street engine.

Bob

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting...lots of parts that sound great, but may have unrealized potential in a motor that would get primarily street use, which is my situation.

I think it's probably a great deal to someone who wants a motor with a lot of unusual parts in it...Nissan rods?.....but for me, I'd want a motor that could be fixed with standard Ford parts.

For the kind of $$$$ he's asking (and it really is probably less than half what it cost to build...$3,000 for the crankshaft alone!!!!), I think I'd spend about half of it on an alloy block, build with good quality Ford based internals, and enjoy the performance and handling benefits of the weight reduction offered by the alloy block.

It sure is pretty, though....ain't it?

Cheers!

Doug

I must read adverts different to some folk, crank might be $3k new, but since its been mag'd I think it might be a s/hand unit. Good piece tho, rod ratio with Nissan rods should be better than 'normal' 5.4" fare. 185 heads ideal, don't see how you can run a Torrington needle thrust with a bronze thrust plate on cam timing gear-perhaps he has fitted full needle brg cam bearings, Assume its got ARP bolts where needed with AFR? stainless for balance of cosmetic stuff. Std bore [4"] with 3.255" stroke is ~327 cu in, not 331.

Keith

I was interested to read that the heads are AFR 185. Does that indicate the 'street-able' aspect of the motor? For more serious race usage, wouldn't 225's been more appropriate at the designed rpm?

I was interested to read that the heads are AFR 185. Does that indicate the 'street-able' aspect of the motor? For more serious race usage, wouldn't 225's been more appropriate at the designed rpm?

Not really, we run 185's on the TVR & its 347cu in [4.130 x 3.25] and runs out to 7800, yes it would have slightly better top end with 225's but at the expense of some low end torque. Only issue with the motor in advert might be the hydraulic cam, but that's an easy fix. I wouldn't be concerned about the rod/crank combo since if you had a bottom end problem a new crank-piston-rod balanced rotating assy is not high $$.

I am not so sure about the claimed 500hp potential. Many nice bits to make it a stout motor and probably good value for money but very little going on in there that builds the claimed 500hp, he may be referring to magazine or pub HP. Perhaps even a little overkill for a street engine.

Bob

I've seen people with similar setups showing 360-400 RWHP, so guessing maybe 420-465 at the crank.

Last edited:
Back