Sourcing 302 (or 289) block in the UK?

So, I have been trying my best with search but the term "UK" is just a bit generic.

Apparently in the US you can pick up a used 302 block at most corner stores for a few hundred bucks, but clearly they are not as prolific in the UK as the US and harder to come by. While the new Ford Z460 crate engine looks lovely, I put the firing sequence on last weeks lottery ticket and so far the funding has not come through.

Being in the UK and needing to SVA a built GT40 I believe I am looking for a <1993 (August specifically) 203 or 289 block as basis for an engine build?

Where's the best place to hunt around and get a feel for what things go for? when I meet some more people I am sure there will be some know-someone who has something type opportunities, but I am sure there must be other Ford forum's where these come up on a regular basis?

The well known auction site is an option, but I suspect what turns up is probably not the best condition and overpriced from experience...

Did find a great thread on starter books on small block fords, had already found a few on Amazon earlier so will be handing those out to family members as suggestions for Christmas. Don't think any of them are comprehensive, but at least would cover basic options and overhaul before you get to the fancy trimmings at the top...

Last edited:
So, I have been trying my best with search but the term "UK" is just a bit generic.

Apparently in the US you can pick up a used 302 block at most corner stores for a few hundred bucks, but clearly they are not as prolific in the UK as the US and harder to come by. While the new Ford Z460 crate engine looks lovely, I put the firing sequence on last weeks lottery ticket and so far the funding has not come through.

Being in the UK and needing to SVA a built GT40 I believe I am looking for a <1993 (August specifically) 203 or 289 block as basis for an engine build?

Where's the best place to hunt around and get a feel for what things go for? when I meet some more people I am sure there will be some know-someone who has something type opportunities, but I am sure there must be other Ford forum's where these come up on a regular basis?

The well known auction site is an option, but I suspect what turns up is probably not the best condition and overpriced from experience...

Did find a great thread on starter books on small block fords, had already found a few on Amazon earlier so will be handing those out to family members as suggestions for Christmas. Don't think any of them are comprehensive, but at least would cover basic options and overhaul before you get to the fancy trimmings at the top...

I have a few 302 engines here but not that exact date. I am not sure that you will find a block this side of the pond with the exact date of manufacture you are looking for. Eurocores 01268 285 888 Basildon Essex have always got 302 and 351w engines for rebuild , normally with the heads off for inspection.

Bob

Hi. I used Real Steel, Cowley, Middlesex, when I needed a new block for my car. Found them to be excellent. Maybe worth a call, or visit. Regards. Stephen

I have a few 302 engines here but not that exact date. I am not sure that you will find a block this side of the pond with the exact date of manufacture you are looking for. Eurocores 01268 285 888 Basildon Essex have always got 302 and 351w engines for rebuild , normally with the heads off for inspection.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I probably wrote that wrong - I understand the block has to be OLDER than Aug 1993, anything built before then is fine but anything after may require a proper emissions test rather than a simple "smoke test" - this information from a post by Mike Huddard I found who seems to know what he is doing.

If you have anything pre-1993 you may be looking to sell let me know?

Paul

Hi. I used Real Steel, Cowley, Middlesex, when I needed a new block for my car. Found them to be excellent. Maybe worth a call, or visit. Regards. Stephen

Thanks Stephen, they are not far from me as well so will have to give them a call - I saw an advert somewhere that they do complete engines as well but I think I am going to look to build one up.

Sorry to correct my earlier comments, its pre-93 to avoid the requirement for cat's, smoke test date is much earlier (75 I understand) but not relevant to most builds if your not running IDA's.

Think I may have found something to get me started...

Thanks Bob, I probably wrote that wrong - I understand the block has to be OLDER than Aug 1993, anything built before then is fine but anything after may require a proper emissions test rather than a simple "smoke test" - this information from a post by Mike Huddard I found who seems to know what he is doing.

If you have anything pre-1993 you may be looking to sell let me know?

Paul

Sadly, no. Any block prior to 1st August 1975 requires a visual 'smoke' test only. Go and read Section 2B, Revision 7 page 4 of 14 where you will see the flow chart.

Anything prior to 1 Aug 86 requires to go below 4.5% and 1200ppm.

Anything then up to 31 July requires 3.5% and 1200ppm. The emissions get stricter after that.

Paul, if you haven't already I'd recommend downloading the manual available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

If you are going to come and look at engines over Basildon way, then let me know, I can come with you, as I work there and am only down the road near the Crossing.

Brett

I can recommend eurocores , they have a good selection. I got a later roller cam 302 with virtually zero bore wear and the gt40p heads for £350. If its old you are after I have a few early seventies blocks.

Bob

Thanks Brett, I have the manual downloaded, I have not delved in depth yet but have been reading other threads.

Pre-93 came from a comment made about Cat's in an engine thread, but I think that pre-dated the latest SVA manual. I will read in detail before doing anything impulsive!

Appreciate the offer as well if looking at engines will keep that in mind. I think buying a block or short is less risk than entire engine. I see from your signature you have a nice Mexican block! The book I just ordered mentions how nice and strong they are...

Anyone give me a guide price for a block or short engine? £200-£300? or too much? (Bob mentions above £350 with heads but unknown providence).

Anyone give me a guide price for a block or short engine? £200-£300? or too much? (Bob mentions above £350 with heads but unknown providence).

It all depends on what you want. To buy a block and then try to locate the timing cover , pulleys and all the ancillary parts later is going to run away a bit. If its a road engine you are building in a relatively mild state of tune just get a complete engine top to tail. If its one of Micks specials and you only need the block £200 will buy it.

Bob

Thanks Bob, not quite ready to buy something but I did see something that looks sound from a reliable source so am tempted (block only).

Road engine with mild tune would be the idea...

Thanks Paul W will check that out. Suspect freight from US be heavy (like the block), and its probably over the BA carry on weight if I can swing a business trip to our US offices ;)
They are just north of Coventry UK and have a sea container coming to the UK every month so if they haven't got one on the shelf they should be able to source one for you in a few weeks. My engine and all components came from them and they sorted all the machine work and balancing.

Thanks Paul, yes worked that out afterwards. From above seems like full engine of some sort would be the most sensible basis to start from.

I can see how having a sea container come in on a regular basis would be an advantage!

Back