8 Stack EFI Borla / Inglese

Hello all, Can I please have some help with deciding between the two efi systems above?
Both look to be very similar in cost, and layout. Both have the injectors in the center of the vee pointing into the ports and both have the butterflies above the injectors. Although they don't have the look of the 8stack efi (webber carbs) they do have (in my opinion) a better configuration, not injecting onto the butterflies.
Can anyone confirm my thoughts and is there a quality or performance difference between the Borla and Inglese units?
They are going onto a 327ci (Ford) stroker with a MoTec ecu.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards, Gus.
:thumbsup:

Great question Gus, have been comparing these two myself over the last month or so.

Absolutely right - injector pointing down the inlet throat (not firing against the inlet wall or into the throttle valve) should be a better configuration.

ps. I wouldn't buy the Bosch fuel pump from Borla at over $500 bucks....it's a standard Bosch 044 which can be purchased new on ebay for $100 bucks (with fuel fittings and free ship).

Last edited:
I have the old Borla units(TWM) and I can tell you they are great. You need someone to set them up right for you unless you have experience doing this sort of thing. I set mine and it took quite a while. I am not sure of the port design of the manifold on the sloping units. On mine I have the AFR 205 heads that out performed(flow test) all the other comparable heads in a shoot out. I had to open up the intake manifold ports to match the AFRs.
P1010126.jpg

As you an see they are huge. The intake gaskets make the outline a breeze. This will help cut down on the turbulence in the air flow. Add a hydraulic roller cam(Comp) with roller rockers. And breathe,,,,,,, unbelievable.

Bill

Gus,

I researched this about a year ago. At the time I found a Chinese manufacturer that was very low quality and had the injectors on the outside pointing inward against a wall. I think (and hope) they are out of business. Then the 8-Stack, while looking like carburetors, injects the fuel sideways into the wall.

The Inglese, Borla, and Roush appear to be almost identical and do inject down the intake. I went with the Borla and I am very happy with the service and quality; although I haven't installed them or run the engine yet. I agree that injecting under the butterfly and down the intake is extremely important. Contact Garry Polled [[email protected]].

I too had to add extra gaskets and do some port matching to make the manifold mate with the heads.

I am using the Performance Electronics ECU. They are partnered with 8-Stack. Even though I am not using the 8-Stack, we have a very long association with PE and their service is outstanding. They have some maps for GT40s. They also have O2 feedback, etc. Contact Brian Lewis [[email protected]]. I bought the individual K&N air filters from Roush. Contact Mark S. Yagelo [[email protected]].

There are other threads about this.

-Bob Woods

Hey Gus
I have both systems (cheap chinese and TWM) in my shed at the moment, if you want to come by and check them out let me know. The cheap Chinese set worked fine on my stock 5.0ltr, it needed a bit of extra machine work on the manifold to fit motor but that was it. Worked perfectly other than that, easy to balance, kept tune. I run a Microtech ECU and a Mallory dual sync dissy. Have a look at my RF12 build thread for pictures. I guess in the end the cheap set is fine for stockish type motors. I got a TWM set and custom sheet metal intake to suit my worked 414.

Also you can buy a complete 8 stack and Motec ECu from RF ready to go with Emission test cert???

Hi Dave and Troy, thanks for the heads up. I spoke to Paul today, as usual Paul was very helpful. Unfortunately, my engine is 327ci which is not a standard ford displacement, meaning I need to do the IM240 to satisfy the local regulations regardless of what RF can supply. Paul did tell me this some years ago when I started to look at power options.
I think going with the Borla EFI will be a good option for me.
Cheers, Gus.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I've had the Eight Stack system on my car for a bit more than three years. In fact, my car was the test car for their system. They've made some improvements over the years, and I've been very pleased with my system. I think it's the best visual match for the original Weber system as well.

The only downside is that their stacks are only designed for their thin air filters. Dennis Olthoff replaced their stacks with ones that fit the K&N filters I use. Much better protection for the engine, but it still highlights the individual stacks.

I think the acquisition of Eight Stack by Borla will also be a good thing. Good luck with your decision!

Attachments

• Eight Stack.JPG
    Eight Stack.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,125
Question on the Eight Stack/Borla. I'm planning on the system from Borla; they offer several air horn heights - is there a problem with horns as high as 100mm and clearance with the rear glass? Obviously it all depends on the motor mount configuration - just a question in general as I was told by Borla the taller the stack the more torque and better sound?
Thanks

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Doug - I doubt that 100mm would be a problem. But as you said, it does depend on the motor mount. Also on the type of filters you intend to use on your horns. My K&N filters are about 2.5 inches tall.

Filters kind of kill the look of the stacks does it not? Do the K&N just snap on the top of the stack, and what model are they? Can you speak to the issue of torque & sound on the height of the stacks? Thanks

Attachments

• 020resized.jpg
    020resized.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 941
  • 027resized.jpg
    027resized.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 841
  • 039resized.jpg
    039resized.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 947
  • 028resized.jpg
    028resized.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 655
  • 003resized.jpg
    003resized.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 964
  • 005resized.jpg
    005resized.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
Hello all, Can I please have some help with deciding between the two efi systems above?
Both look to be very similar in cost, and layout. Both have the injectors in the center of the vee pointing into the ports and both have the butterflies above the injectors. Although they don't have the look of the 8stack efi (webber carbs) they do have (in my opinion) a better configuration, not injecting onto the butterflies.
Can anyone confirm my thoughts and is there a quality or performance difference between the Borla and Inglese units?
They are going onto a 327ci (Ford) stroker with a MoTec ecu.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards, Gus.
:thumbsup:

I think you could do a lot better price wise by buying a Weber manifold and fitting it with the Jenvey throttle bodies. There will not be any VAT charged because its for export. These things are top quality.
Twin bodies IDA style - Jenvey Dynamics

They sell all the other bits like horns and linkages.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bob. I have a set from Borla.
I managed to get them just prior to the Oz dollar dipping below 84c US.
Thanks to all for your help.
Cheers, Gus.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Doug - my K&N filters were installed by Dennis Olthoff. They have a rubber gasket on the bottom that just fits over the top of the stack. Dennis' input was that most of the screen filters people use on their stacks don't do much to keep dirt and dust from the engine. Since I use eight separate filters, I think it's a good balance between protecting the engine and retaining the look of the stack injection system. But it's all a matter of personal preference, of course.

Back