Heat shielding, many types

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
We use the Firesleeve at work. We have hydraulic hoses wrapped with stuff, and it stands up to having molten copper poured over it. I am very impressed with the way it holds up to that. I have also used it on many car projects.

Howard and Brian,

I would be interested in where you are using it. At present my throttle cable routes through the back and runs up through my bundle of snakes and touches one pipe. I tried an experiment with some heat sleeve from another manufacturer and spare cable I had and the plastic on my slave cable melted.

Funnily enough I have been talking to AB asking about their product this is the response I got so I'm still not sure if a reroute to the side for the throttle cable would be best.

From Adrian Brookes - VP & General Manager
AB Technology Group

This sleeve probably won't do the job you are hoping for.

You may have success with our S-FS sleeve, which has a coating. Depending on how you route the sleeve, one end of it could be in an airflow area that is cooler and airflow can travel down the sleeve, keeping the inside cooler than the outside. You don't need much airflow - and also keep both ends of the sleeve open to allow the flow.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am using this stuff on my shifter cables found in their catalog, Aluminum film coated fiberglass on page 1-48. The cables run approximately 3-6 inches from my headers. The headers are coated with ceramic inside and out.

Use a diameter that is larger than the cable you are protecting. I used 1.5 inch diameter on a 5/8 diameter cable and would recommend you double the size of the cable OD for the fire sleeve OD. This will help limit heat soak.

In the end you need a good cable that is designed to work in a hot environment, keep its run away from the really hot pieces (I wouldn't expect any of these products to work for long resting directly on the headers right at the exhaust port) as much as possible, and put in inside of one of the really high heat products here on the above page or a like product from another vendor. Summit has this stuff.

I like the idea of airflow through the sleeve but I don't known how you would do that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14015

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nick

If I had one laying on the header, I would wrap it in this:

McMaster-Carr

I also have doubled up in certain areas with that covering, with this on the inside :

McMaster-Carr

If you can't get it in the UK, I would be happy to help out. Like Howard, I have used it on shift cables, hoses, and even the main water pipes running thru the chassis. You just have to pick the correct one for your application.

Regards Brian

Nick,
If the prices of some of those shields is too much you have some other choices. You can route the cable up the front of the motor to the carb(s).
If you run a single or dual carb, you would have to add what I call a Z link that would change the action of the cable from a pull to a push. Easily made up out of scrap pieces. The attachment below shows how I did this with my shifter.
If you are running a muti carb(webers) or FI setup. you can make it work from the front as well. I have the TWM now Borla 8 port FI unit. Welcome to Borla® Induction
They have a billet capstan linkage kit that will help out. It can go to the side(regular V-8) or to the front/back(Coyote). Just have to get the linkage on the proper side of the capstan to get it working in the right direction(page 3 & 4 of the catalog). Couldn't get the web site to look up the part # or price
I run mine under the carpet and to the right side of the floor, back to the firewall. It goes up the framework and then ducks behind the actual firewall and snakes its way to the center valley of the manifold where it operates the capstan linkage.Just have to be careful with the radiuses of the bends. Mine has not given the first bit of trouble or stickiness.

Bill

Attachments

• P1010210.jpg
    P1010210.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 307
Back