H beam or I beam rods

A question for the masses, I intend to put a decent LS1 together for the next 5000, with an expected out put around the 550 to 600hp at 7500 rpm with a red line of 8000.
so the big question should i run H beam rods or I beam, logic tells me the I beam should be the better option , but I would appreciate a second opinion before i spend my hard earned.

cheers John

The critical thing about rods is the bolts. My experience has been that rod failure is almost always a bolt failure - thay need to be lifed and properly installed (bolt stretch preferably). A rod such as the Crower Sportsman (I beam) is good for c 550 bhp/7500rpm and is generally lighter than the H beam equivalent. Beyond that sort of engine performance I would choose a Carillo H beam or equivalent (Pankl/Arrow).

I would have thought a bolt upgrade, blue print and prep the stock rods , a decent balance job and that would be it for the power levels/rpm we are talking about here. The LS1 s none to shabby as stock its upstairs that needs attention most.

Bob

Jac Mac really needs to chime in here but I've always heard "I beam for road racing & H beam for drags" - - - cant' remember all of the logic, but it had to do with the I beam handling the rapid / constant acceleration / deceleration of road racing.

Dave

Re rod bolts, i would be fitting ARP 2000 series bolts regardless, as well as on the mains and head.

cheers John

Carillo H beam is hard to beat. They're expensive but used with good durability pretty universally. Heck, many NASCAR cars use carillos. In fact, you can buy used carillos for chebby and ford from NASCAR teams for about $200/set. Caveat emptor.

Jac Mac really needs to chime in here but I've always heard "I beam for road racing & H beam for drags" - - - cant' remember all of the logic, but it had to do with the I beam handling the rapid / constant acceleration / deceleration of road racing.

Dave

FWIW, Ford puts H-beam Manley rods in their Aluminator XS (500+ HP) with a 2 year, 24,000 mile warranty. The I for road and H for drag isn't their philosophy.

Also, Modular Motorsports Racing (the guys who have the current 1/4 mile record for a Modular Ford) build what they claim is a "1000HP Forged Shortblock" that uses the same rods. Maybe it would hold together up to 1000HP or maybe not, but if they claim it, I would think you would be safe 30% below that level for example. That said, we are talking FORD rods here. The ones they make for the Chevy may be different.

Last edited:
looks like the dilema has been solved for me, a very nice benifactor has given me a brand new set of Carrillo small journal rods that he cant use, bugger.
oh well i suppose they'll do for now:lol:

Just for completeness sake I checked out the Manley site. They say that with the ARP 2000 bolts on their H-beam Ford Coyote rods they are good to 750+ HP. The high end Pro Series I-beam rods are good for 800+

Back