Olthoff Serpentine drive opinions

I'm looking for opinions on Dennis's serpentine belt drive system. My car likes to eat A/C belts. I've gone through 8-10 of them since I've had the car. It's something that I kind've got used to. Well yesterday as the most recent A/C belt started to shred it took the water pump belt with it. I was able to walk the water pump belt back on an get the car home. My questions to those who use his system are:

How reliable is the system?
Does it allow belt walk at high RPM?
How is it on the belt?
Any other pro's and con's?

Rich.

Will 'V' belts not work? It seems easier to replace a V belt....this one answer but there are others I'm sure. Old design but works for decades.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
8 or 10 belts?

I would think something is wrong

cheap belts
pulley alignment
belt to loose or tight

something?

Dwight

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yep, I'm thinking it's probably an alignment issue. Serpentine systems MUST be perfectly aligned or the belts overheat and turn to shreds pretty quickly..
Tension is another matter as serpentines require more tension than do V-belts. If you have an automatic tensioning device on that setup, that's probably not your problem.
Unfortunately a GT40 is one of the worse cars to work on when it comes to belt alignment issues. You may find yourself removing one or both seats and then the firewall in order to get a good look at what is happening.

After your next belt change - take a good look at that belt after 20-30 miles and see how the edges are wearing and if there are any shiny spots on the ribs. If you show any wear at all at that point - alignment is your culprit..

Rich,

I agree with the comments about alignment but since your question was about opinions on the Olthoff Serpentine system, I thought I would add my two cents.

Dennis did my install and I went with his serpentine setup. Based on my experience, I would give it a thumbs up. I carry a spare but in two years of use, the original one is still in great shape. As for motor Rpm, I have my rev limiter set at 6800, not that I go there very often, and have not seen any issues. The brackets and pulleys are machined nicely and the compact design seems to fit pretty good.

Hope this helps a little.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC04919 (2).jpg
    DSC04919 (2).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 368
Back