Flywheel

Hi

Does anyone out there know where I can get an eleven and a half inch 28oz balanced flywheel from or made up?

The ever helpful Mike Solis from Southerngt is being extremely helpful but someone out there could save us all a lot of heartache, time and trouble.

Regards

Martin

If your going to make one up you might find it easier to buy/acquire one of the larger dia versions from 351c/351w & later 289/302w and simply machine it down to accept the smaller ring gear. Most if not all of these larger ones have both small/large clutch bolt patterns drilled and tapped already. Since the outer area of these is of constant thickness it should not affect balance unless the intended machining work removes some of the factory balance work.

Hi Martin,
as Jac says, buy the correct 28oz Mustang flywheel and get it turned down to fit the correct ring gear. I'm just doing one for a similar installation
PM if you need further assistance/chat
Regards,
Andy

Hi

Does anyone out there know where I can get an eleven and a half inch 28oz balanced flywheel from or made up?

The ever helpful Mike Solis from Southerngt is being extremely helpful but someone out there could save us all a lot of heartache, time and trouble.

Regards

Martin

There is a guy in the UK I am getting my custom flywheel, adapter plate, starter, etc. from that might be able to help. I'll see if he is local to Jersey UK.

The guy wrote back and said he is a bit away from you but in the UK and does this sort of thing for a living. If you want, email me and I'll forward you his company site so you can see his work. Does a lot of GT40 stuff it seems.

If none of the above works its not a hard job to get the imbalance on a custom made blank. I made a batch of smaller diameter flywheels for a different engine that was externally balanced , I made a mandrel that bolted the new flywheel back to back with a new auto flexplate that was 180 degrees out. this could then be spun up and perfectly balanced against a factory standard unit. They drilled 2 x 20mm holes in the blanks indexed off the crank bolt pattern which put them in the ballpark and they just needed a tickle after that. I will dig out the mandrel and take a snap of it.

Bob

I found it lurking in the storage container so forgive the rusty appearance . A simple mandrel with an OEM flexplate bolted to the back, all your balancing guy has to do is bolt on your new flywheel (because the flexplate is already flipped 180 degrees out) and get it to zero balance which is really easy. You cant get it wrong because the flywheel only bolts to the mandrel the one way. once you have the mandrel made it would be easy to swap between the 50oz and 28oz flexplates to suit different engines if needed . Its the only way I could think of to do these counterweighted flywheels but it works well.

Bob

Mandrel

This type of balancer was used, good enough for turbine hubs doing 30,000 rpm.

Forgot to add the the drilling of the holes on the opposite side to the counterweight negate the need to add the weights. The lightening holes at 180 degrees replace the weight.

Bob

Back