Rear sump

I am specifiying an engine to a US manufacturer.

I believe i want a rear fox type sump.

Is a rear sump the right thing ?

Andrew

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Frankly, I like the sump as close as possible to the oil pump.. With proper baffling and windage trays, it should work as well on either end...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 293

Pat

Supporter
Where is the chassis crossmember on your car? That may determine your sump location.

Veek, think this picture answers my own question.
It would have to be a rear sump ?

Andrew

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 286
Sorry, I don't have pics of chassis like yours, this info is just from 45 years of trying to re-educate hot rodders who do it wrong! Ive taken the liberty of drawing an engine mount on Randys pic to give you an idea of the position of the ford mount on the engine block and with the 'red' pad in place. I doubt he Cobra 'T' oil pan/sump of Randys car would fit in your chassis due to the two chassis braces mounted @ ~45° at the fwd end of the engine bay, however there should be nothing to impede the fitting of a genuine GT40 type pan from Armando's or similar. Depending on your final engine mounted height either of the fwd/rear should fit, but ground clearance could be an issue. Also as your from the UK be aware that there is a 'rare' fairlane mount that for some unknown reason CAV ,GTD space frame cars etc have used on occasion that sets the motor about 0.75" lower than the more common 70's>> onward SBF ford mount. Now depending on which mount dimension was used by your chassis designer the distance between the two ' long bolt tube' fitments may need to be altered. Just a heads up if you run into trouble, I would do a dry run with bare block & transaxle before you paint/finish the chassis.

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 280

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Quoting a post and embedding your click bait within... that is one clever way to spam the forum Jim Jackass

Back