Ford Racing Z heads

I just spoke to the Ford tech people, they informed me that exhaust ports on the Z heads for the 302, exit 5/8 inch higher than the stock 302 heads. Has anyone used them? If so do the factory 302 headers (GT40) fit ? Do they clear the rear motor cover (hood)? If the ports are higher on the heads it will place the headers higher and wider?
Any help is apreciated

Walter,
I have the Z heads on a roadster and needed to change from the 'standard' headers for my application so I think you are wise to seek opinions on this for your car.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I wouldn't spend money on Ford Heads, any of them, unless you can get them for $400-500 for both. Edelbrock performer RPM 2.02 intakes would be my choice. They seam to always come out near the top of these tests and I know of several guys that are happy with their power and straight bolt on easy install. A pretty good engine guy I know puts them on all the street SBF's he builds. He likes the very good power production below 4000 rpms especially on the street "much better street head than the drag race AFR's and they keep up with the AFR's all the way to 6400. That's about the limit of hyd cams anyway".

Six Budget Ford Heads That Work - Car Craft Magazine

The Z head will need at least a rework of your headers. More than likely a new set because of the raised Ex port. AND check body clearance on a GT40 if you raise the headers.

By the way the Edel heads make the same power and are a complete bolt on for less money.

I should add. MUST check valve clearance to piston top with any 2.02 intake valve head if you currently have a 1.94 intake or smaller on the engine now.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thank you for the fast reply.. I have not purchased anything as of yet.. just doing my home work. Did not want to buy a motor with the wrong heads on it. I am a big fan of Edelbrock and the exhaust ports are right where they need to be for my application. Thank you so much for the info.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Keith Craft CNC Brodix heads

I picked up 80 rwhp /tq with KC Brodix head and a intake. Best money I've spend on my motor in my Cobra.
302 stroked to 354
402 rwhp / 416 rwtq

Dwight

Back