Installed K&N 9" Extreme

I installed a K&N 9" Extreme/Flat Base Air Cleaner & Quik-Latch Mini on my GT40 tonight for initial drives, tests, registration etc until I get a chance to install the webers down the road. Same system I ran on my Carbon Fiber Cobra and think it looks pretty good on the GT40.

Attachments

• K&N 9 Inch Extreme 1.JPG
    K&N 9 Inch Extreme 1.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 287
  • K&N 9 Inch Extreme 2.JPG
    K&N 9 Inch Extreme 2.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 272
  • K&N 9 inch Extreme 3.jpg
    K&N 9 inch Extreme 3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 232

Pat

Supporter
Looks great, especially with your "turkey pan" underneath.
I have something similar from Summit Racing and have been happy with it.

Attachments

• Mr. Engine.jpg
    Mr. Engine.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Rear deck.jpg
    Rear deck.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 208

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I got exactly the same product (although round, not oval) for my Cobra because the 9" is just the right size to fit up into the hood scoop. I found that the factory K&N base, which is nicely radiused for increased flow, placed the top of the filter too high and there was no way the hood would close. Time to regroup.

I took an old "Mr. Gasket" 9" air cleaner assembly and used that base, as it was just a 1/4" flange that had no radius to the transition to the flat section on which the filter element sits. It worked, but I was not happy with the way the Mr. Gasket base interfaced with the flange gasket on the carb.

Eventually I decided to try to find a shorter filter, so I went to the K&N website and used their search function that allows you to input the dimensions you want. What I came up with was a 2" tall K&N filter element that was specified for a Toyota Corolla. I swapped that out for the factory 3" K&N element, put the K&N base on the carb, and viola...it fit under the hood and I can feel a definite improvement in the "seat of the pants" feeling.

I'm sure height is no problem under the back window of the GT40...but it sure was under the hood of my Cobra. There is no way to order the entire filter assembly with anything other than the factory 3" tall element...anyone want to buy a gently used K&N 9" diameter, 3" tall filter (LOL!!).

I really like the look of your oval filter element, though...wish they had been available when I bought my round one, but at the price (IIRC it was in excess of $150) I'm not going to swap for the oval one now.

Really, I like mine a lot...definite improvement in throttle response with that radiused base compared to the abrupt transition to the carb flange on the "Mr. Gasket" product!

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Don't laugh...I ran into the same issue with clearance on my 240Z that had a SBF in it. I wanted the largest air filter possible, so I took a 14" K&N, and then fitted (they are surprisingly flexible, and it was formed into a tear-drop shape) it into a fiberglass filter housing that effectively draped over the carb, and whose top fitted well against the bottom of the hood blister. It never softened in the heat of the engine bay, and to this day continues to properly seal the air filter.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
I'm sure height is no problem under the back window of the GT40...but it sure was under the hood of my Cobra.

Actually, at least on the Summit Racing filter was a bit of an issue on the "40 as my manifold has a slight forward tilt at the carb base presumably to accommodate the hood slope of most front engine cars. So I had to have the base reverse machined on a lathe to bring it back up to a perfect horizontal. I have about half an inch of clearance.
Obviously anybody installing a new filter assembly needs to insure they have adequate clearance before they slam any hoods or rear decks closed.

Back