Choice of cam for 302 and 48 IDF weber

Just looking for some advice on a 302 build to use a carburated 48idf setup, any idea of choice of cam. Just looking for a street able engine, any thoughts, thanks.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Found the info that I had posted here on another thread:

Description
Ford Sml Blk 289/302 FO - Inglese Cam Hydraulic Roller Series by COMP Cams®

Inglese™ Weber carburetors offer outstanding performance and throttle response, as well as an incredible underhood appearance. But until now no manufacturer had created camshafts designed specifically to optimize this classic high performance induction system. The new Inglese™ Weber Performance Camshafts by COMP Cams® are designed to enhance the power and drivability of these systems; Inglese™ having worked closely with the COMP Cams® engineering staff to create the most advanced camshaft designs possible. As a result, Inglese™ announces the creation of 16 hydraulic roller cams for Ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler engines.

The secret behind these camshafts is the strong vacuum and signal they create; key ingredients to delivering peak uncompromised Weber performance. While most camshafts are designed for plenum-type 4-barrel carbs or electronic fuel injection, the Inglese™ Weber Performance Camshafts by COMP Cams® were designed from a “clean sheet of paper” for the best performance and drivability possible. The new Inglese™ Weber Performance Camshafts by COMP Cams® are offered in two performance levels for each engine platform, including four popular Ford engines, Small and Big Block Chevrolet, as well as Small Block Chrysler engines.

SBF
----------------------- Dur @050 Lift w/1.6:1 Lobe Sep
31-490-8 272EHR15.... 216 218.... 0.566 0.555 115°
31-491-8 272EHR15.... 222 224.... 0.571 0.565 115° <~~~ this is my cam
---------------

When we Dynoed my engine it was the first one they had ever done with Webers that didn't have a lot of fuel reversion (there was none), spitting, popping..
I think the numbers that my engine made show that the combination works well.
My purpose for the car/engine is to have a well mannered and docile street vehicle that I actually enjoy driving. I have access to racecars for that other side of me that want's something totally boisterous and obnoxious to drive..

Inglese: Inglese Hydraulic Roller Series Cam, Ford Windsor 5.0 Firing Order, Stage 2

31-491-8 272EHR15.... 222 224.... 0.571 0.565 115° <~~~ this is my cam
---------------

When we Dynoed my engine it was the first one they had ever done with Webers that didn't have a lot of fuel reversion (there was none), spitting, popping..
I think the numbers that my engine made show that the combination works well.
My purpose for the car/engine is to have a well mannered and docile street vehicle that I actually enjoy driving. I have access to racecars for that other side of me that want's something totally boisterous and obnoxious to drive..

Randy,

Thanks for the review, I discussed cam choices with my engine builder and decided on the same one. Sounds like we made the right choice

I wondered about the choice between the 5.0 and 302 firing order, and his reply was he prefered the sound of the 302 order with the crossover exhaust. Are there other reasons to select one or the other?

Thanks,

Francis

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No other reason that I can think of Francis.. I think this cam sounds great and the engine pulls exceptionally strong on the dyno.. I will admit I have not yet driven the car so I won't make any claims on driveability, but it sure has all the indications of the docile behavior Jim Inglese said it would have..

As long as tubes are arranged in collector as in attached dwg it makes no difference to sound.

Attachments

• Daves info.jpg
    Daves info.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Primary Pipe sequence for 180° in both firing orders.jpg
    Primary Pipe sequence for 180° in both firing orders.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 419
I had Comp Cam make a special Weber friendly cam for me. It works very well. But mine are 48 IDA's, not the IDF series that the OP is asking about . Should work the same though.

Z

Last edited:
Randy,

Just saw this thread. I have a 347 Stroker with 44 IDF's. Because I bought my car already complete I was able to obtain some info on my engine but not all. The one item I would love to know is what cam is in the motor. Sadly and tragically the owner is no longer with us and the shop who built the motor has gone too. Do you think the Cam you mention would be a good application for my motor? I do get a wee bit of popping and spitting at times and suspected it might have to do with the cam. Your thoughts please?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jimmy,

While I've never yet driven this camshaft, I can only vouch for it's response and performance on the dyno. I can't see that this would be a bad choice if your RPMs don't need to exceed 6,250 or so.. Initially we did have very mild popping on the dyno, but that was easily tuned out with fuel mixture change. One thing to keep in mind with Webers is that they don't have cold operation chokes - so they need to be warmed up to enjoy the proper performance and response..
I think I mentioned above, but will mention it again - this engine responds to throttle inputs almost lightning fast...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Would like to hear one of these engines in the car though proper 180 headers. I'm sure with that much lobe separation they would work better with Webers but will have a different sound than something on 106 or 108 centers.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
At low RPM and idle, I'm certain you're correct Mike. Not so sure it will matter much once things smoothen out around 2500-3000 RPM for the closer lobe center cams. Hopefully I will hear it first hand this coming summer...

Back