Preferred Distributor - EightStack system

PaulProe

Supporter
To those guys running an EightStack/DynaTek system, what distributor are you using?

Looks like my options are:
  1. Modified Ford distributor with PerTronix module ($200)
  2. MSD ProBillet #8594 ($300)
  3. FAST Dual/Sync #305010 ($350)

For our type of application, one any better than the others?

Thanks

Paul

Paul, not running the 8 stack system but the Pro Comp system instead.

That said it is not running yet, but i picked the MSD Pro Billet #8579 for space reasons !
At 4.75" OD it was the smallest i could find that would fit comfortably.

You may not have the same issue with the 8 stack but just thought i would raise the issue.

Andew

Attachments

• 20150428_055000-35.jpg
    20150428_055000-35.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 514
I dont know what engines you guys are running but if its a screamer you need to be carefull you dont go too small on dizzy diameter. We were having problems with spark scatter at around 6500-7000 rpm with a small cap. Crank triggered wasted spark is the way I am going on build two, its way too tight up front for a decent distributor on a GTD.

Bob

I am on vacation, but I wanted to contribute, as I think the information may be of help. I will supply info of my unit when I return home, Thurs or Fri.. Background is I have a 351 Windsor, with the FAST electronic ignition and a distributor and coil.
P1010018-1.jpg

I will try and find the model of mine. My distributor is one with a short cap and is not as tall as standard units because of the TWM FI. You will see with the pics of my unit that there is very little room for these units. As for which style of GT you own it matters most, how far forward you mount the engine. Then things get tight.
teastrainers.jpg

As I mentioned, I have both a distributor and computerized ignition. I also have an electronic box, the MSD 6A and a coil.
PC070026_zpsd9a17c25.jpg

This box supplys multiple spark for each cylinder. If I had it to do over, I would have chosen the 6AL or the 6AL 2. These units at least supplys a rev limiter(or 2).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ig-VRVMuE

The style of distributor that I have, came with springs and weights for timing. This unit also allows one to "lock out" the distributor so that there is no advance at that point. All it does is distribute the sparks. The box, an MSD 6A only supplys the spark that allows the coil to fire. The computer does all the work. It supplys the advance and timing of the spark. This is done by way of the crank trigger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCHEHPESf60

When you lock out the distributor, you have to make sure that the spark that is sent is correct and going where you want it to go. This is called rotor phasing the distributor as seen in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM
This eliminates the spark from going to the wrong cylinder(scatter), either before the one desired or the one following it.
I don't remember the diameter of mine being an issue, but the height is with the fuel rails.
P2020076_zpsuaehnjcr.jpg

Bill

MSD Ignition 8578 - MSD Pro-Billet Distributors 351W ford engine

i'm running Inglese 8 stack ez efi it it really tight between the distributor plug wire and the inner fuel rails. its so tight i can't use the MSD top that holds the plug wires into the cap. there is one in particular that i had to force down to adjust the timing.
As you can see in the above picture there's a lot of stuff in a small area
my advice get the smallest distributor you can.
I have to remove the two rear stacks to change the cap (get access to the screws that hold down the cap).
LLoyd

Hi Paul,

Like Andrew I picked the MSD-8579. I can confirm that it fits the Eightstack intake manifold. Also like Andrew I haven't run anything yet. My intention is to have a crank trigger for timing and use the 8579 as a "cam position" sensor.

Regards,
Mattias

Attachments

• DSC_1176_small.jpg
    DSC_1176_small.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 535
Lloyd,
Your post reminded me that I had to grind off some of the fuel rail just to get them to fit. Yes, things are tight. You can rotate the cap some to get the boot cap out from under the rail. Mine would only get part of the rubber cap out of the way. You have to make sure to line up the rotor with the new location of #1 cylinder.

Bill

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I have a 302 with an Eight Stack EFI built by VED (same engine builder Dennis O uses on his cars). It was originally supplied with a distributor (mfg unk) that pumped more oil onto the intake manifold than it pumped inside the engine. That was a great into to GT ownership.
I switched to a Summit dizzy that left me stranded last weekend; roll pin on the pinion gear broke...fun times. Dennis diagnosed it over the phone - guy is a genius!
My auto-mentors and I put our heads together and decided to install an MSD 84791. The dizzy for my engine requires a steel gear, and the advance to be locked out. There are other options than just the 84791 via MSD. MSD was great on the phone and agreed to provide a small-cap dizzy, swap the supplied iron gear for a steel one, and perform the lockout of the advance for me. Unfortunately, I had comms difficulties during the follow-on phone calls and just decided to buy the 84791 from Summit. I performed the adv lock out and vac adv removal myself (they supply an excellent, and easy to install part that plugs the gap left by the removal of the vac adv), and I'm definitely a junior-varsity mechanic...frankly, I'm still on the bench.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-84791

Lesson learned: on some affordable aftermarket dizzy's, you may notice that the gear can be slide off the shaft by hand, if the roll pin is removed. I assumed that my pin was subjected to all torque placed on the gear. On my install, I assumed right, unfortunately. On the MSD, it appears that you need a hydraulic press to remove it (not that you will likely need to do this). I suspect and hope that with this level of construction quality any load would be transferred to the full circumference of the shaft and not just the roll pin.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

Back