Intake Manifold Removal

My 302 has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold fitted.

Could you tell me if there is a correct sequence when removing the 12 bolts and if so, the order.

I have information regarding the proceedure when replacing the manifold but not when removing it.

Many thanks.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Run that installation pattern backwards to just crack them loose. Once tension is off the bolts, just remove them in what ever order suits you..

Thanks Randy.

Bolts removed without difficulty but PeteB's comments - he must have known what was to come!!

Any recognised ways to remove the manifold as it is hard and fast stuck down. Afraid of doing any damage to the manifold and also the Ford Motorsport big valve alloy heads I have. Trying to preserve as much of the evidence I can to try and identify the problems.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
John, a word of caution if you use a hoist use short chains or rigid links, if you use long springy ropes the manifold could fly up and hit something or you. :stunned:
I never had to do more than use a blunt lever at some convenient point.
Dave

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I generally use a sharp flexible putty knife to cut through the sealant at the ends, then drive a wooden or plastic wedge (like Door and window shims from the hardware store) between the manifold and top of the block..
Works every time... I do prefer the plastic wedges over the wood as there's less cleanup if it sheds any material in the process..

Thanks for all your help.

With a bit more effort the manifold came away but it did need some persuading. I didn't have to resort to using a hoist but had help from a V8 engineer !!

Now on to sorting the actual problem - gasket failure.

Many of the manifold sealing issues are due to head skimming/block decking and head gasket thickness issues. Seldom checked and adjusted but there are not many engines built without one or most of these alterations , inlets are often overlooked and not remachined to compensate.

Bob

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi John

How are you getting on with the refit?

Will you be ready for the July Fairmile Meeting?
If you want a hand shout and I am sure a few of us locals will come in and drink your beers:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ian

As mentioned, a very thin knife, or a double edged razor handled with care, I sodden needed to slice thru the sealant on the end of the manifold. Go slowly to avoid gouging the soft aluminum.

Z

Back