Spark plugs..

Hi guys and gals ... When fitting spark plugs to alloy heads does any body use a grease of any kind ..?? I have new heads on my 302 and didn't want to naff them up ..

Thanks in advance .. John..

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I use anti-seize compound. Most spark plugs are made of a metal that interacts negatively with aluminum...this can cause spark plugs to seize in the threads. The anti-seize compound keeps this from happening.

Cheers!

Doug

Do not under any circumstance use Copper coat or any thing with copper in it.

A Nickel based antiseize would be my preference followed by a graphite based one.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A number of spark plug mfgrs are recommending to NOT use anti-sieze on their plugs.
There are a few reasons which make sense -
@ plug threads are nickle clad or other aluminum friendly plating
@ too easy to overtorque as torque values are given with dry threads
@ not all anti-seize compounds are conductive
@ potential for fouling the plug by over application
@ potential for contamination of the insuator thereby causing a short from the lead to ground

All that said, I personally would not think of installing a plug in an aluminum head without having a small dab of anti-seize on the threads. Just go easy and remember that your torque values should be reduced by 10-15 percent (this is a number I feel relatively safe with - your mileage may vary)...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
thanks guys ... where will I get anti seize please ....

jc....

Any automotive parts shop...I long ago bought a large bottle because it is good for more than just spark plugs.

The source from which I bought the urethane bushings for the suspension bars on my Cobra replica specified anti-seize compound for lubricating the bushings...I have had not a single squeak from them since I used the anti-seize.

You will find many more uses around the house for anti-seize, too.

Cheers!!

Doug

Back