Oil filter relocation

I was not pleased with the oil filter located on the firewall or the hardware store fittings for the sensors. These are the before pictures.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 351
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 336
After. I would like to claim an original thought here, but credit goes to Chuck and Ryan page 10 of their build log. I did modify it a little. I made the bracket on the transaxle 1" taller and used 45 degree fitting off the motor. I did design and fabricate my own brackets. The oil pressure sending unit is 66 Mustang.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 374
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 399
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 405
Tony, mounting your oil pressure sender unit like that at some distance from the the block is asking for it to fail /break at the threads, might be better to mount the sender on firewall with AN hose etc from block to sender unit.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Tony, mounting your oil pressure sender unit like that at some distance from the the block is asking for it to fail /break at the threads, might be better to mount the sender on firewall with AN hose etc from block to sender unit.

Absolutely agree with Jac.
The minute I saw the extension for the sender I shuddered as that is a disaster waiting to happen.
Those threads are not very strong and vibration or getting bumped would break them easily, ask me how I know.
I learnt that lesson very early in my automotive life.
Dimi

I have mine placed in a similar location, but, I am running a -4 hose out of the block to the 3 way adaptor (it has pressure and low pressure sensor). I then have the pressure sensor held by a rubber P clip that in turn is held by a rubber rivnut.

Brett

Thanks for the tips. That is why I post to this site, feed back is a great way to test and improve ideas. I do have a second port on the oil filter adapter so extending the wires and just run the wire along the same route as the temp sender.

The approach is to eliminate the steel manifold, 2oz used since 1979 on the 5.0.
I don't see any problem.
The fox body racing guys using that setup for the last two decades...

You must be very lucky, I have had experience with two race cars with identical setups ( fitted by previous builders/owners ) that have cracked at the thread, amazing how much smoke can be created from such a small leak! Both of the owners involved were like you, ' its never broken before '. My reply was -well it has now & look at the mess!!-, thankfully in both cases it was not a major, ... now if it had let go while cruising home at night while not paying much attention to gauges etc it would have an unhappy ending... just sayin..:)

Attachments

• 20151127_130545.jpg
    20151127_130545.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 279
Looks like you have an additional port on the remote that can be adapted to the oil pressure and/or temp. If you search for remote oil filters you should be able to find one like this or change yours to look like it.
Remoteoilfilter.jpg

You have the filter underneath and two ins and two outs(arrows). On one of the outs you add a T(AN piece) and hook the temp and pressure together I have two pressure measurements. One goes to the gauge and the other go to a safety switch that if the pressure drops too low it cuts the ignition. you can add a bypass switch to it for starting so you don't run the starter til the oil pressure comes up.

Bill

As in both cars failed similar setups at the same point- one for each car. I was called in to work on both cars at different times to help iron out several issues unrelated to the oil fitting, just my luck that the fittings decided to fail while I was around. As a further point of interest it always makes me wonder why so many guys insist on doing one more lap to see if a problem will go away.. I often think the reason they give racers a cool down lap is so they can think up an excuse for their mistakes.:)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Since I'm spending your money................

Canton Racing Products 22-595, Canton Racing Remote Oil Filter Adapters | Canton Racing Products

Canton Racing Products 22-625, Canton Racing Remote Oil Filter Mounts | Canton Racing Products

You can use both of the unused ports on the filter mount for senders. Pressure and temp.

Yes they are a bit more $$$ BUT they are not cast pieces. I am aware of cast pieces splitting at the pipe thread port.

Anyway, I have used Canon parts on both my cars with good effect. I recommend them.

Note: Tony could move his pressure sender if he wanted to and he would duplicate my setup. Same good parts.

Oh and use GOOD hoses and fittings. I REALLY like Earls. HATE Russell and the cheap stuff....... If you blow off a oil line it will really Fup your day even if you save the motor and don't burn down your car.

Last edited:
Pete, my eyes must be getting old, but I cannot see a solution in your pic, have you added a support to the sender unit bulb that I cannot see?[/QUOTE

Jac`s right that is way too much unsupported weight hanging off what is a very fragile thread. Also if you know from the outset you are going for remote oil filter there is no need for the block adapter. there is more than enough meat around the holes on the block to tap them out and screw in pipe couplings.

Bob

I just bought those Canton parts for my SBF, all very nice and much better oil flow ports. I had the cheapy cast bits on before just didnt like the look of the ports.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Good job Tony, shuddered at the sight of the original installation, and agree with the danger of mounting things on extension adaptors. Just wondering here, but if I did this, I would consider mounting the filter vertically. That way, I don't get used oil all over the place when I remove the old filter, and I can fill the new filter with fresh oil before I put it on and not spill that all over the place.
I think that filters are generally mounted sideways for neat packaging reasons, many used to be vertically mounted in the past, I can't see a reason why or disadvantage to a vertical mount. Anyone know otherwise?

Dave

Back