PE3 ECU setup

PaulProe

Supporter
Has anyone progressed far enough with their build using a Performance Electronics ECU for startup? Posted sometime ago, introducing myself from the Cobra community. Converting my Weber system to an EightStack with PE3 unit.

Little confused by the distributor settings. Looking at all the other brands, they advance the distributors when being installed. Seems like the PE3 just has you drop it at TDC and tune from there.

Anyone out there have more experience with this?

Paul

Paul,

I am going to use the PE3 with the Borla (formerly TWM) 8-stack system. I haven't started the engine yet but the support at Performance Electronics is great.

Contact Brian Lewis at <[email protected]>. He can probably give you an initial map and answer questions.

My MSD distributor does not have any mechanical advance and the advance is set by the PE3.

-Bob Woods

PaulProe

Supporter
Have talked to Brian and very helpful - however I still can't get my head around the distributor install.

He says to put it at TDC, rotor in line with plug lug and sensor in line with lug on sensor wheel. Understand all that just confused by the ECU then not seeing any "pulse" at the appropriate moment for timing control. I guess the ECU uses the distributor to identify position of the motor and it fires the coil at the appropriate advance setting - but wouldn't the rotor be x degrees from the cap lug at that time?

Maybe I'm reverting back to normal ignition things and getting confused by all the trees in the way? Other ECU mfg's have you set the distributor in an advanced position so it is getting a sync signal at some time prior to the firing event.

Or does maybe the PE3 use the sync signal as notification of the next firing event 45 degrees coming up and then do some internal math to fire at the right point.

Brian has been very helpful however he may take things for granted that I, as a newbie, don't fully understand.

Tried to find something on-line, in their forum or in the manual that would explain this better but couldn't

Paul

Back