Setting timing on GTD

I had to replace my distributor (MSD). When I installed the new one I tried to get it as close as possible to the previous setting, but I know that I need to set the timing.....
Looks like I will have to pull out the seats to access the panel behind them to get to the timing marks on the dampener.... unless there is an easier way???

Paul

Assuming that you have a standard GTD with thr Renault gearbox, simply set the no 1 piston at TDC on the firing stroke ( find TDC by removing all spark plugs and using an appropriate probe in No 1 bore through the spark plug hole ) then mark on the flywheel edge through the bell housing opening( at the top of the housing right hand side from the clutch slave. ) where you will find timing marks in the casting. Mark with white paint on the flywheel edge to correspond with the 0 mark on the bell housing. Use a timing light with an advance dial ( I use a SnapOn ) set a static advance to about 18 degrees to start the engine, the take the engine to maximum point of maximum mechanical advance ( somewhere about 3500 rpm ) and set the timing mark on the flywheel to corresponde with the 0 mark on the casting with the timing light set to 34 - 36 degrees to suit whatever cam you are using. These are basic guidelines, you need to determine your own settings, but on most 302 Fords in the GTD40 this will get you pretty well there. NOTE - do not use vacuum advance on the dizzy!

Need to clarify ( its a bit early in the morning for me ! ) When I say " set the static to 18 degrees " I mean that start the engine and run at tickover about 900 rpm and set the timing advance on the light to about 18 degrees, the advance the engine spped until there is no more mechanical advance on the dizzy and set advance to about 34 to 36 degrees. Again I am assuming that the engine is fairly middle of the road spec ( 350 HP eidelbrock RPM cam and 10.5 to 1 comp ratio) I am sure many others will advise different specifications, but this is a simple and quick way of setting basic timing without need to get at the front of the engine. Frank

Hi again Frank-
I had time to go out and look at the bellhousing. It actually has degree marks cast into the housing. Was this a custom casting for the GTD/Renault??
It certainly makes life easier.

Thanks again,
Paul

Back