Can I repair this?

So I have messed up big time this morning :cry:

I was drilling the new coolant holes in the block to match the heads and have managed to misalign slightly and have drilled through into the oil gallery.

26044058985_0bd5074993_c.jpg

Can I weld or similar over the top of this, as it is only between the coolant passage and the gallery?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Best way is to use some soft copper rod that fits the hole neatly- with some Loctite- and peen it into the area that needs to be plugged

Looking at it a second time.

If it where me I would machine a rod to the right size,drill a small hole up the inside for water flow.
Put some sealer around the outside and drive it in like a plug.

When the heads go on pressurize it and spray something on it to see if it bubbles.

Jim

Howard Jones

Supporter
I wouldn't do anything to that myself. I would spend some time finding someone who has experience welding iron and a reputation for doing good work and let him fix it for me.

Sometimes the real fix is finding a pro to do it for you.

Metal Stitching & Thread Repair Inserts. - Turlock , CA - LOCK-N-STITCH, Inc

I don't know if the material in that area is thick enough for this repair but it may be worth researching.

Also...I had a boat years a go with an "Iron Duke" GM 4 cyl that froze and cracked right where the cyl deck met the outside of the block. I found an old timer who repaired marine diesels in the USN. He drilled small holes along the length of both sides of the crack. Then, using a small ball peen hammer and a acetylene torch, proceeded to insert small nickle pins shaped like an ice cream cone. As he did this the crack closed up. I kept that boat for years and it never leaked water.

Hi Brett,
I'd fix it in a similar to way Jim has stated. Overbore it and then machine a tight fitting plug that is pressed in, then drilled out to the correct size. A good machine shop will easily be able to do this
Don't worry, all is not lost and a little more experience gained!
Rods,
Andy

So I have messed up big time this morning :cry:

I was drilling the new coolant holes in the block to match the heads and have managed to misalign slightly and have drilled through into the oil gallery.

26044058985_0bd5074993_c.jpg

Can I weld or similar over the top of this, as it is only between the coolant passage and the gallery?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Brett you are like a cow with a gun :)

If your up this way bring it with you and I will tig braze it for you while you wait.

Bob

Brett you are like a cow with a gun :)

If your up this way bring it with you and I will tig braze it for you while you wait.

Bob

I am indeed, sometimes I feel like I should be put down for having BSE...

Much appreciated, I may take you up on that, even if I have to drive over one evening (soon)

Kevin Box

Supporter
Good to see you will get this sorted

It also brings up the discussion as to whether drilling the block is better or worse than modifying the head to match the block.

Personally I prefer drilling the head to match the block and it saves this problem. I'd be keen to hear other peoples point of view.

Kevin B

So, unfortunately Bob and myself couldn't tie up, so I found a welder locally. Any comments? on the below

The chap put a patch over the hole and welded with stainless and then brazed over the top. He said that when he was brazing it the bubble appeared like the bit on the right

25970765144_fe9a08709e_c.jpg

Hi Brett,
I would put some JB weld over it just as a precaution. Then close the engine up & forget about the whole episode
Rgds
Andy

Back