Spark plug wires

Steve

Supporter
I'm planning on using a 302 with Dart aluminum heads. Any clearance issues with standard length spark plug wires related to the headers?

I think I had to assemble my own set from a universal set because most off the shelf sets go from the top down. Burned up the initial set even with boot insulators because of the headers. Running wires from bottom up avoids this, but wires are longer.

I have a 302 Dart block. I hate to admit that I went through three sets of wires before I got it right. You need to use a universal set and cut to length. You need to go below the headers. You need to use angled connectors on the spark plugs.

Is your Dart block mounted in the car yet? If not, send me an e-mail. There is a problem with Dart blocks and engine mounts. I have it documented.

-Bob Woods

-Bob Woods

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bob, can you elaborate? I have a Dart alloy 302 block. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but am interested in your findings. Thanks

Steve

Supporter
Bob, it's not mounted yet. In fact, car's a couple months out. Looks like I should wait until after the engine is mounted before addressing the wires.

My block is actually a Ford Boss 302 iron block. Only the heads are Dart.

Steve,

Like you, I first tried a pre-cut kit and it didn't work at all. I then ordered a do-it-yourself kit with straight boots at the spark plugs. They wouldn't clear the headers. I then got a 90 degree MSD kit and it worked fine. I wasn't aware of a 115 degree boot, but that might work, you just have to clear the headers. The 90 degree boots work fine.

-Bob Woods

Back