MotecM84 Coil packs and Cam/crank wiring

Hi All

I have a ford 5L from an AU falcon in Australia. I think it is a similar motor to the last ford Explorer motor from the US.
I'm also using a Motec M84 ECU.
It has the 4 coil packs which are 3 wire plugs so how do I wire them. Do I wire Ign 1 to run coils 1 and 2 then wire ign 2 to run 3 and 4 etc.

Both the cam and crank plugs are 2 wire plugs, so I am assuming they are magnetic sensors not Hall effect. So do I then wire these with only + and - wires and the shield to -ve with no sync or ref wires?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Patto

Hi Patto
No expert here, but you'll need to show your coils / part numbers to work out what's needed. I'm running a M84 with 8 LS1 coils wired together in pairs with 4 ign lines in batch fire.
Yes the two pin ones are mag, but you still need to wire the Ref +ve to B1 and Sync +ve to B2. Ref and Sync -ve plus shield goes to B16 (0V Eng).

Clayton

Thanks Clayton.
So I don't need the 8V Eng from A12 then.
Also what Aux are you using for the fuel pump? A1? And then i gather you have put it through a relay?
Lastly what Aux for tacho sig?
I know these are configurable just want to see if ppl are using the same Aux outputs.

Thanks again

Hi Patto
Yes that's correct, if you used a hall effect (3 pin) sensor then the +ve would connect to A12.
The fuel pumps, coils, fans, compressor clutch etc are controlled through relays.
My settings are:
Aux 1 - Lambda heater
Aux 2 - Lambda heater
Aux 3 - Tacho
Aux 4 - Fuel pump
Aux 5 - Radiator fan control
Aux 6 - Aircon fan control
Aux 7 - Aircon clutch control

I assume you're making your own harness ??

Clayton

I'm using the loom supplied and then terminating everything myself. Ive used Autronic in the past and new to Motec.
Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about Lambda heaters yet so that helps too.

Cheers

Back