Help. !!!!!!!!

Hi all I have been having a go at turning my engine over . Little drop of petrol and I got flames spitting from the heads... no pipes on yet ... timing checked lots of times ... valves checked ... all day yesterday . and a bit of today . set up on 302 firing order ....... got really browened off . anyway thought I would have a go at 351 firing order and she burst into life ....Block number

C90E-6015-G

All new parts for the engine are for 302 from Real Steel can anybody help please ... I did lots of checks before building the engine and all came out 302 ???????
Any ideas guys ..........

JC:stunned:

Hi Walter thank you for your reply ..... that is my casting number ..... BUT ....looking at the front of the 351 block above the water pump outlets is about an inch more block .... Mine hasn't got this my heads sit on top of the outlets .. Could the block have been decked ?????

John.

I have been told this evening that because I have a tuned cam that the firing order will be as the 351.

Thanks guys for your input ..
John..

I have been told this evening that because I have a tuned cam that the firing order will be as the 351.

Thanks guys for your input ..
John..

You can fit either cam/firing order, flat tappet in any of the following blocks... 351w, 302w,289/260/221 and Boss 302 plus the oddball 255. You can also swap in the hydraulic & solid roller cams with suitable mods or companion parts to match. Quickest way to check firing order if you have cam out is front two lobes are damn near in line with each other its 13726548, whereas early 15426378 has them approx. 1/2 turn apart. Different length cam dowels for one ( long ) or 2 piece ( short ) fuel pump eccentric . Some thrust plates need relieved to clear some aftermarket cam sprockets.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All,

Years ago I built a street rod and put a 351 Windsor with a hot cam in it.
Not realising the new cam was different I used the firing order that was stamped on the inlet manifold,
Only to discover that when I tried to fire it up the firing order was wrong.
I had to go back to the firing order of a 302,

Dimi

i had a similar issue with first fire up. HO cam firing order. Installing the HT leads, got cylinder number 1 TDC on exhaust not ignition, so the leads were right order but started 180 degrees out on the dizzy.

Well it wouldn't start for love nor money so i thought the CAM was NOT HO so the older firing order. this is the interesting bit, it fired!!!!

Sounded not too bad but could tell something not quite right... check Clinder 1 for TDC on ignition with valve cover off, moved all the leads round and started first time, purred like a kitten!!!!!

So the story is, an HO cam will fire on non-HO firing order if leads on the dizzy are 180deg out

Thank you Gibbo m8 ... I was only dropping some fuel in the carb just to see if it would come to life ... It did fire on the 351 order .....
Thanks for your input m8 ...

John,,

Back