proto 289 head

I have been dismantling a 289 engine I bought some years ago and and found the casting # SK28984 on the heads. It's an ex drag racer engine that seems to have been built by Rousch. The only info I could find said they were a prototype for the 351W. Anybody got any more info?

Jack Roush used to be in a partnership with a 'Wayne Gapp' back in the older days and they were really into drag racing in a big way under 'Gapp & Roush' signage.
Not sure about your '289', as I was more interested in what they were doing with the Boss302. This was way before the stroker kits were common, they sourced their stroker donor cranks from the 292 or 312 'Y' block ( forged steel truck version ), modded the flywheel flange to suit SBF and cut the snout length down for an easy ~358 cu inches with ~4.000" bore. Be interesting to see what you find in that '289'.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
This is what I found....

'the SK 28984 cylinder head was a prototype for the 351W head. Flow numbers were around 300 cfm'

2x4 intake

'What you have is a Prototype 351W cylinder head. It was designed in late 66 and you will not find casting dates on it. These heads were produced for testing on the early engines and are not as "good" as the production '69-70 351W head. They are pron to external cracks below the exhaust ports and above the lower head bolts. They have a 62 cc chamber as cast. They did have a 1.84 intake and 1.54 exhaust valve when made.'

Print Page - Trying to Get Information on SK Sketch Part

Well it's not a stroker- sorry to disappoint. The heads are quite modified; heavily ported with 1.94/1.6 valves and a machined fire ring on the head face. 5" C&A aly rods, modified 1M crank, hipo caps, Ross forged pop ups. No cracks in the ex port area despite the port work.

Back