Thoughts on this engine.....??

I'm back to my Fortus ('88 Esprit with SBF) project....which is moving along very slowly I'm sorry to report. I now at the point of having to line up a power plant. This is no show car, more sleeper bastard project....so a very basic and economical drive train is what I have in mind. I'm basically looking for an entry level 331/347 stroker with decent heads pretty much fully dressed to which I can bolt my rebuilt 016. I'd be very happy with 400 tq/hp at the flywheel, 350 tq/hp at the wheels. Plenty for moi.

I saw this engine on ebay: Blueprint BP3474CTC Ford 347 Stroker Dressed Engine Alum Heads | eBay

Any thoughts on this engine? Anyone know Speedway?

Thanks in advance

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've done a ton of business with Speedway Motors over the past 40 years and never a problem. Good folks to work with. I have not purchased engines from them as I build my own - but have bought engine parts from them.
Personally, I prefer the 331 over the 347. It's not hard to get 400+ HP/TQ from a 331 if you have good heads.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm not sure Speedway builds motors. I'm sure they're contracted to a local shop, which is what I'd recommend you do.

Thanks fellas, good to hear you've had good experience with Speedway, at least for parts.

Ron, I hear you, and I'm inclined that direction. What I'm finding however is that an equivalent engine locally is more like $8-9K.....several thousand $ more. I think this is because the Northwest here isn't big muscle car country, and labor rates and shop time is higher than in other parts of the country.

I would definitely prefer a local vendor. Just trying to decide if it's worth $2-3K more is all I suppose....particularly if Speedway has a decent rep.

Quick update here. So I checked with a couple local engine builders and they both wanted almost $7K for this same/equivalent engine. I went ahead and ordered the engine in the link above from Speedway (free shipping!).

One question.......and please excuse the dumb questions here, I'm used to working on alfa, porsche, etc. and don't have much (any??) experience with SBF. Am I going to have to remove the crank from this engine, bolt on a damper/balancer and a flywheel and get the rotating assembly balanced by a shop? Is that the normal drill? Or, do you just get the flywheel balanced, the damper/balancer balanced (ironic), bolt it together and assume the crank is already balanced?

Related, I've heard there are a couple different weight balancers....what's best?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
These engine are external balance using 50 oz imbalance damper and flywheel, so no need for any disassembly as the rotating parts are balanced to this spec (according to Speedway's description). The balancer part number can be found in the Q&A section.

Cliff,

your motor builder will supply you with the proped balancer... I bought my motor thru atk and i am thrilled with it, and the support has been great.

Walt

Back