Turbo Wrap or not to turbo wrap

Ceramic coating of headers appears to be favored instead of wrapping materials to reduce under hood temps. My question is: Is an insulating blanket on the turbine (exhaust) side of a turbo a help or hindrance ?

ranger jim

ps Way to go Ford on their win at Le mans 2016 :thumbsup:
check out the highlights @ Ford Performance

Hi Jim yes you can get Turbo blankets and not only will they help control the heat there a good safety measure, I at this moment have only a small admittedly 3 degree burn on the back of my hand from a very hot turbo, and I only bumped it.
exhaust wrap on headers causes instant rust, that's why we shy away from it. for some reason they don't tell you that on the packaging.

cheers Kaspa

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Jim, I would reinforce Kaspa's comments about the wrap, however I would both ceramic coat the hot side, AND use one of the blankets Kaspa mentioned.

The ceramic coating will keep more heat inside the turbine and less radiated to the engine bay, and it might even help the turbine efficiency a bit; plus, it will protect the housing from rusting.

The blanket will further reduce heat to the engine bay and provide burn protection for yourself/others.

Back