Pipe dimension for Bundle of snakes?

Hi all,

my BEC GT40 is getting finalized in Sweden now. Just got a ZFQ transmission for it.

Will use a local company to make the bundle of snakes in stainless.

Which is the normal / recommended pipe dimension?

They got 44 mm / 50 mm / 54 mm diameter as standard choices for SS pipes.

What have you been using and whats your recommendation?

Thanks!
Jonas

hi Kaspa, not sure I understood you there.

It looks like most systems got same diameter all the way up to the collectors.

Whats the benefit of going 40 first and then 44 mm?

Go for the biggest primaries that they can bend and fit into the space available IMHO bearing in mind that the heat dissipation from stainless is very high.

Regards,

In order to calculate the correct primary length for 'YOUR' engine the size in cubic inches , cam timing events, and to some extent your intended use need to be known, your 490 hp is of no use.
However since most camshaft timings these days end up with a primary length too short for a 180° GT40 system your best bet is to make what will be the longest pipes in the system first and then get the rest as close as possible to that length in a fashion that resembles pics of original cars, the 44mm is the best of the options you have in SS. The collector style should be the tapered type rather than more common USA V8 swaged into a piece of 3" or 3.5" tube.
If you intend to ceramic coat the pipes be aware the coating process will relax any formed bends and make first asembly difficult, therefore its a good idea to fit and run on an engine with collectors fitted before coating.
Is your engine the S374T sealed crate version?

Last edited:
thanks for good and detailed advice guys, appreciated!

Plan is to fit Borla XR-1 mufflers....anyone got other advise or recommendations let me know

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
In order to calculate the correct primary length for 'YOUR' engine the size in cubic inches , cam timing events, and to some extent your intended use need to be known, your 490 hp is of no use.
However since most camshaft timings these days end up with a primary length too short for a 180° GT40 system your best bet is to make what will be the longest pipes in the system first and then get the rest as close as possible to that length in a fashion that resembles pics of original cars, the 44mm is the best of the options you have in SS. The collector style should be the tapered type rather than more common USA V8 swaged into a piece of 3" or 3.5" tube.
If you intend to ceramic coat the pipes be aware the coating process will relax any formed bends and make first asembly difficult, therefore its a good idea to fit and run on an engine with collectors fitted before coating.
Is your engine the S374T sealed crate version?

Does anyone offer this collector configuration off the shelf?

Is my perception correct that the original configuration seem to have collectors smaller than 3"?

dec_mys4.jpg

187.jpg

henry-davis-ford-gt40-exhaust-pipes.jpg

Back