The correct distributor gear for Comp Cam.

Help please.

My new engine build sports a CompCams BY35-770-8 camshaft. For once I did not build this engine up, but the builder has said that I need a steel distributor gear for this set up.

I,m troubled by this, as according to what I can find out the camshaft is an austempered core and ought to run an iron melonite gear with it. Reel Steel over here in UK say Bronze.
So iron, steel or bronze ??
Your guidance please, as my race season starts in March, and I do not want another troublesome race season as I had last year.

Thankyou.

I dont have a later master catalog to give you definitive answer on that Graham other than if its dry sumped with no real drive loads use bronze.
Fit the gear to distributor during assembly of engine so that you can verify that with distributor clamped gear runs against block in use and can be lifted away from block to verify shaft endfloat clearance.
The LH lifter gallery plug just behind distributor gear, drill an 0.030" hole in it to lube dist gear.

Glenn M

Supporter
Surely go to Compcams.com. They have a search and a tech support section. From the horses mouth is best.

... are therein lies the problem ....... it is all in place now, so can only remove distributor and change gear if need be.

I took my eye off the ball during this rebuild, and trusted the builder. It was not until now that my inquisitiveness has brought about this dilemma. My current gear is a steel one, but I,m not happy about it.

The best option is a comp cams carbon poly gear. They are expensive, but I have a brand new one for sale on eBay right now (blatant self promotion!)

Check the comp cams website to learn more about them....

Thank you very much to those of you that have replied to my question.

I had already checked with the CompCams site and been a little confused on variable information. On contacting suppliers and engine builders here in UK, I also received even more variations, and that is why I approached this knowledgeable group on here for your advices.

Still confused, even more so now that Mike has thrown in the carbon poly gear !!!!

I,m going to call CompCams and talk directly to their technical section and buy whatever they suggest.

CC have a tech video on the website , -choosing the correct dist gear-, you can watch it a couple of times, probably better than getting the phone shuffle deal.

Thanks Jac Mac and Mike Drew.

Had a good chat with CompCams and am being sent the correct one for that camshaft. Appears that there is a lot of confusion out there and it does lead to damaged cams and distributors through misguided information, and I, by far, am not the only one who has potentially been in for expensive damage caused by ignorance of suppliers and engine builders.

I,m glad that I had misgivings over what had been done on my rebuild, and have already pulled the distributor and removed the steel one that was on it, and now just wait for the Iron Melonite gear to arrive.

Well, how about this for a turn up for the book !!!!!!! and please take note all you engine builders, or those with an interest in this post of mine.

Following on from my last message, I duly received very promptly from Comp Cams the IRON MELONITE gear for my distributor. The bubble pack containing it though sported the label saying 451M STEEL. Having just removed the old steel gear which had a melonised finish on it, in order to have the correct gear for the new engine rebuild, I was surprised to put it mildly.

Well, how about this for a turn up for the book !!!!!!! and please take note all you engine builders, or those with an interest in this post of mine.

Following on from my last message, I duly received very promptly from Comp Cams the IRON MELONITE gear for my distributor. The bubble pack containing it though sported the label saying 451M STEEL. Having just removed the old steel gear which had a melonised finish on it, in order to have the correct gear for the new engine rebuild, I was surprised to put it mildly.

So back on to Comp Cams, and guess what ........ The Iron melonised gear is in fact STEEL which has been MELONISED. The technical department said that most of the world did not see a difference in the materials, to which I made it quite clear that they were wrong in that assumption !!!!!!!

So folks, I sign off now on this subject, almost in utter disbelief as to all the talk and printed statements about using specific gear material.

Back