Looking for FE engine knowledge

Gale

Supporter
Hi all. I recently ordered a MK II from RCR and I agree with the FE for the car. I like the classic look and think the FE is the right look to fill the engine bay.

It won't be here for some time and I think now is a good time to do the initial engine work.

I'm not looking for a sideoiler. The prices are way to high from what my research is showing me. The car is going to be a street car and do the occasional track day. I'm looking for help with sourcing the block/main caps and crank and will do after market for most everything else. I'm working with a local engine builder that has helped me for several years on my race car.

I see all kinds of engine stuff on line and ebay but I don't know enough to feel I want to just jump in without some guidance.

Hi Gale

I have sideoilers in my GT40 and Cobra. I was planning on building the Cobra, but found a finished Contemporary Cobra with a Holman Moody built sideoiler installed. I therefore have the 427 sideoiler with Edelbrock heads (have original heads as well but someone previously had taken a grinder to the chambers to 'enhance' compression ratio) and a standard 4 barrel intake that I had intended to use in the Cobra that's been sitting in my garage for years. Have really not thought much about getting rid of it, but send me a PM if you'd like to discuss.

The sideoiler in the GT40 came with a NASCAR crank and NASCAR rods. Definitely would advise not going that direction as the NASCAR setup required special bearings that are unobtanium -- had to be specially made.

As you are probably aware, parts are readily available to build motor from the shortblock to complete motor.

Mark

Gale,

There was a guy active on the forum right in your area who was building a Mark IV. I think his name was "Big Bob" or something like that.

Anyone remember Bob? It was definitely an fe engine in his car.

Gale,
I had an FE in my Cobra. It started life as a 390 truck motor, but was bored and stroked to 428. 390's are readily available used and aftermarket. From the outside, unless they looked to see if it was cross-drilled, most people would not know the difference from a 390, 406, 410, 428, or a 427. Most share the same block, with the old 352 cubic inch designation cast into the block.
I would also suggest buying a book, "How To Build Max-Performance Ford FE Engines" by Barry Rabotnick. He often wins the Engine Masters competition with his FE builds. He also has a store with everything from parts to complete engines. His web site is survivalmotorsports.com.

Rob

I guess I will never understand the folk that opt for the big stroker options.... to put it simply the 390 has the same stroke as the 427, why not simply use that 390 crank and bore to 4.080" to use 390 0.030" OS pistons. This will give you around 395 cu in. There are mods to be done to the oil galleries and the FE requires some careful part selection for the valvetrain ( Strong & light ). Plenty of good head options. If you want to use an aftermarket block that should cure the oiling concerns and the crank can be cut to suit BBC stuff. Most folk are scared off by the BS spread on other forums. I worked on all shapes n sizes of FE back in the 1960's and we never had half the problems that have largely been created by the latter day experts. They are a simple old engine, dont over think them.

Back