GPM flow cooling sysytem

How big do you need to go with electric engine cooling pump?

I can get by with a flow rate of 25 GPM?

I used a Davies Craig EWP115 (30.4 gal/min) on a 331cid/450 bhp GT with no problems in the Northeast USA. They now recommend larger units, but I suspect that they are being conservative, expecting a hotter environment.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Is it going to replace the mechanical or act as a booster?

I am in the process of installing a Davies Craig booster as my GT was overheating in the NV heat in the slightest of traffic. One advantage of the Davies Craig is that it is flow through design so can be easily used in the booster application with a controller.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am in the process of replacing my cheap mechanical WP with a DC150 in my SLC. The Wieland pump I had in it was marginal on a hot day. SBC @ about 500hp.

I talked to Pegasus Racing and they recommended the 150. They told me that the 150 is in use in Rolex prototypes. I should have done it this way from the start.

As an aside the Steward electric pumps look good also. I called them and the very knowledgeable guy on the phone recommended two E389A's one back near the engine pumping out the hot water and one near the radiator pumping out the cool water. Both as low as possible. The 389 makes more pressure and is better for a long system in a mid engine car.

Packaging tipped the scales towards the DC150 for me as well as the controller to regulate water temp. The steward would use a thermostat in the traditional placement.

Stewart Components

EWP150 Alloy / LCD Controller Combo (12V) (8870)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm using the Meziere WP366S pump, and have never had any cooling issues with the LS2. Proper ducting, plumbing design, and fans I'm sure has more to do with that.

Back