GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Engines/Induction/Exhaust Motors and engine related - right here!

Old 17th April 2017, 03:19 PM   #1
RChianese
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: GTD40
Knock Knock

Unfortunately, this is not the start of a joke thread! While driving around the other day, I developed a pretty nasty mechanical knocking that started low and progressed much louder over just a couple of miles. Engine sputters and lurches, but I have not lost fluids or noticeably blown anything apart. I was able to limp the car back to the house, albeit not looking or sounding very cool.

Before I start tearing this thing apart, I am looking for any and all educated guesses on what something could be. The thought being that if I get too many that are really expensive to fix, I may just commit to rebuilding the other 302 I have and swap it out. If things come in fairly benign, maybe I try a few and see where it takes me.

My Father has told me to check the harmonic balance, so that is one. I am sure you fine group of Gentlemen have questions, so fire away.

Thanks in advance!
Robert
RChianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 03:28 PM   #2
johnny cobra
2 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Tornado GT 40.
Re: Knock Knock

Does the knock speed up when engine is reved ? if so sounds like big ends ...
Old 17th April 2017, 03:55 PM   #3
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Robert, when I see a post like yours I usually check recent posts.
You have had a slow WP leak, replaced timing cover, waterpump and mentioned your engine placement is 'nose down'. I have to ask, have you fitted coolant/air bleed lines to the rear of your intake manifold. You could have a ign timing problem with the lurching etc or a piston partially seizing due to a coolant air lock or the Balancer could be coming loose. Check to see if timing has moved, do a bolt check, did you get a tank full of low octane by mistake.... I could go on!
Old 17th April 2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Walt Williams
A Tenth
United States

GT40: CAV GT40

Check your oil first
Walt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 08:46 AM   #5
RChianese
Silver Supporter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny cobra View Post
Does the knock speed up when engine is reved ? if so sounds like big ends ...
Yes, the knock does speed up with increased RPMs.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:04 AM   #6
RChianese
Silver Supporter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac mac View Post
Robert, when I see a post like yours I usually check recent posts.
You have had a slow WP leak, replaced timing cover, waterpump and mentioned your engine placement is 'nose down'. I have to ask, have you fitted coolant/air bleed lines to the rear of your intake manifold. You could have a ign timing problem with the lurching etc or a piston partially seizing due to a coolant air lock or the Balancer could be coming loose. Check to see if timing has moved, do a bolt check, did you get a tank full of low octane by mistake.... I could go on!
The balancer was my Father's first guess since he helped with whole front end overhaul. We did not put in any additional bleed offs anywhere and I don't believe the fuel is an issue. The car has been driven since then, and no timing issues have come up.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:52 AM   #7
YerDugliness
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: 1/24 scale MKII

I'd pull the valve covers and look to see if the push-rods are OK. I once drove a GTO with much the same symptoms you mentioned and thought it would need to have the bottom end rebuilt; imagine my pleasant surprise when the Pontiac dealership called in 3 hours to say it was running again...a bent pushrod. It might be worth the time to check.

Cheers!

Doug

Retired twice, now back at work, but still attempting to age disgracefully
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Don Nye
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: RCR GT40 Mk IV

Robert, From what you have described, loud knocking noise, it makes me believe its something related with the rotating assembly, piston, rod or main bearing. If you are convinced it's internal engine noise and not balancer or flywheel/clutch noise I would start by pulling the spark plugs just to verify something did not get on top of a piston. Look for damage to the end of the spark plug a small screw or something. You said the noise started low and got louder so I would not think you will find anything but it's easy to check before looking deeper. Next I would pull the oil pan. Look for metal in the pan and a discolored rod bearing cap. If I see any metal in the bottom of the pan I would commit to pulling the engine and a rebuild if possible.
That's just my thought process, I'm not there and hearing the knock so you are the one committing to all the work and the direction you take.
Good Luck,
Don
Don Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
bill kearley
Rookie
Canada

Not hard to diagnose if I was there but drop the oil and check for metal and remove oil filter, cut around the top with a hack saw, check media for pos. metal.
bill kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill kearley View Post
Not hard to diagnose if I was there but drop the oil and check for metal and remove oil filter, cut around the top with a hack saw, check media for pos. metal.
Better to punch a hole in the can with a chisel, then use a tin-snips.
Cutting the can with the saw puts metal in the pleats of the filter.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Tom
Cobrajet
2 Tenths
United States

GT40: RCR MK1

Sounds like a spun rod bearing... Try disconnecting one spark plug wire at a time to help isolate which cylinder is suspect.
Old 20th April 2017, 04:40 PM   #12
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

If you keep running it to try some of the suggestions above its quite likely the problem will get bigger than when first heard, even the 'must' drive home probably will have seen to that.
Old 20th April 2017, 04:44 PM   #13
LBCportagee
4 Tenths
United States

I agree that it sounds like a spun bearing however it could be anything and more likely something done recently like you say HB. Good/bad news is that bearing should show in oil so I agree, that is step one. Also if/when pulling plugs for inspection do a leak down while you're at it, could uncover something. Removing valve covers and turning engine over by hand to try and find source is another option before pulling stuff off that requires more work - be sure to check trunions for damage. Do you have solid or hydrl lifter? could be collapsed/damaged lifter. Another good guess with the timing but you say checks out. Good Luck.

Last edited by LBCportagee; 20th April 2017 at 05:32 PM.
LBCportagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 06:13 PM   #14
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart

Double check your pulleys bolted to the harmonic balancer.
I bought a truck once with "a rod knock" and it turned out that the bolts holding the pulleys to the HB had backed off..
same holds true for flywheel bolts - but they're obviously more difficult to check.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 09:10 AM   #15
RChianese
Silver Supporter
United States

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Robert
Old 24th April 2017, 10:09 PM   #16
Howard Jones
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: GTD

Stop running engine. At this point you might still have salvageable parts like pistons, crank, cam, and rods. Pumping bearing material all around the system isn't going to make anything better. It is soft compared to the steel stuff like the cam and crank and these can be used again if the damage isn't too bad. Over size bearings, crank grind, etc. can fix it as good as new.

Take off filter, pore out a couple of ounces through a white paper towel. Look for brass/silver/metal material. If you have any then drop the oil pan next and check again. Spun bearings will deposit bearing material in the oil pan. If you have it there then the whole motor is in need of a rebuild.

Sorry no way around that. The good news is that a rod bolt didn't let go, you have something left to rebuild and bearings and gaskets are cheap.

Last edited by Howard Jones; 24th April 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Howard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expensive, knock, start, swap, things