Block decode

Ok one for the ford guys what is this ,

Attachments

• IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 338
He were getting there with it ,there is 351 in the lifter gallery, only problem is it's been outside left with plugs out ,it's on a standard bore as well ,gutted,never mind a trip to the scrap yard tomorrow unless someone wants a coffee table

Cheers mark

He were getting there with it ,there is 351 in the lifter gallery, only problem is it's been outside left with plugs out ,it's on a standard bore as well ,gutted,never mind a trip to the scrap yard tomorrow unless someone wants a coffee table

Cheers mark

Why, 351w blocks are safe to 4.060"" bore, of greater concern would be condition of main bearing bores and camshaft tunnel- both should be OK if it still had crank and bearings installed. The 351w IMHO ( backed up with working on this stuff for 52 years now ) is the single best candidate for a GT40 replica where you simply want an engine that looks right. Only note of caution is avoid the later roller cam blocks, in other words anything with an E--- cast # as the bean counters got to the casting cores. Some of the crap my previous employer imported from USA in 70's had been left outside with heads off and were not pretty, the sort of stuff that still had water marks in bore after bore and hone... trick with them was to do final assy & startup as quickly as possible. Most of the folk on here would be horrified to have a look inside the cylinders of their engines with the amount of time their cars spend sitting idle while they complete the builds, and then many do a delayed first start without pre prime of oil system and shortly after you see a thread ....why did my brand new cam lose a lobe.

Ed McClements

Supporter
This has just popped up on eBay UK:-

Item number 152361147299

Which is a '65 289 block for someone wanting originality. Google seems to be telling me that the 4J30 means it was actually cast in late '64...Sept 30th to be exact, but I might have misunderstood the codes.

If it was 1/2 the price I'd be buying it!

Edited to add: I don't have enough posts yet to post the eBay link.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Might want to be careful in buying too old of a 289 engine block as you may end up with a 5 bolt unit rather than 6.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Might want to be careful in buying too old of a 289 engine block as you may end up with a 5 bolt unit rather than 6.

Did Ford ever use the 5-bolt block in any of the originals?

Just curious...my apology for the thread drift.

Cheers!!

Doug

Back