Oil cooler placement

Just wondering if I should expect some troubles with this oil cooler placement. It's rather high, just about the same height as the mid-point of the valve covers. It's located there because this is what was the fresh air inlet for the intake on the old turbo motor. I'll add a fan to boost cooling when not in motion.

The cooler is located on the return back from the front mounted cooler (which is rather small due to extremely limited space up there).

Thanks

Attachments

• Cooler2.jpg
    Cooler2.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 625

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would certainly consider check valves in the circuitry..

Cliffbeer2;51530 The cooler is located on the return back from the front mounted cooler (which is rather small due to extremely limited space up there). Thanks[/quote said:
Are you running two coolers?, one at front of car plus that one in pic and I presume in series, that is a lot of oil & distance for the OE pump to move. One other thought, since that cooler will grab most of cool air supply where is your injection system going to get its cool air supply from?

On my 40 I put one either side of the transaxle towards the rear and did some covers on the front to take a hose down to the underside of the car.
The lower ducts are attached to the lower arms so they are at a constant height and have never been wiped out.

It works very well, but I do not run a splitter on the front so it gets plenty off air under the car.

Jim

Thanks gents, good information and suggestions.

Randy, what kind of check valve is good?

JacMac - got it. I could just use the new cooler in the rear. Taking the front cooler out of the mix would improve air flow across the water radiator (they're stacked)....perhaps that would decrease the drag in the system to acceptable levels.

Jim, that's an interesting idea....no doubt gets more flow to the right place!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
There will be a lot of heat back there, and being close enough for radiant heat to come from the header tubes, I'd also suggest a horizontal thermal barrier between the two.

Back